Refurb and OWN the laser cutter - £1,000

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa4991b23e0>

As you may know, we’ve been having some issues with the laser cutter. Trotec UK have very generously loaned us the machine free for a year, but it’s at the end of its useful life. Cutting power is reduced and engraving is blurred and inconsistent. As a result, we’re not very able to give Trotec the publicity that we promised as our side of the deal.

We now have a fantastic opportunity.

Trotec have agreed to do the required maintenance on the machine, including a new laser tube, at the cost to us of £1,000. They’ll cover the rest. On top of that, at the end of the 12 month loan period, we will own the laser cutter ourselves.

This is a phenomenal deal. However, we don’t have that sort of spare cash hanging around, so we need your help. If everyone chips in, we can raise the money in no time. To pledge, please edit this post and add your name and amount to the following list:

• £50 - Tom Newsom
  • £100 - Tom Lynch (after pay day)
  • £100 - Pete
  • £100 - Conor
  • £50 - RichM
  • £200 - Spark Live Ltd aka Toby
  • £20 - Dermot
  • £20 - Matt P
  • £20 - Sarah Barber
  • £50 - Felix Ingram
  • £100 - Fred Witting
  • £100 - Laurent Muchacho
  • £20 - Stuart Shum
  • £30 - Sarah Jones
  • £30 - Rory Yeung
  • £10 - Gordon C

Bold names indicate that payment has been made.

1 Like

ill throw in for a hundred

2 Likes

Edit the post - green background means wiki post that anyone can edit
EDIT: done it for you :stuck_out_tongue:

Going to be a grumpy cat here;

Tubes break. Will it be guaranteed for the 12 months?
Old lenses make for bad cuts, engraved. Will they refurbish the glass?
Will they polish or replace the mirrors?
Will they refurb or guarantee the HV supply?
Will it include sufficient software license?

If the answers are mostly yes, this is awesome. If it’s just a tube replacement I am more meh. This is a good company but I want to be confident in what’s intended before issuing forth with offers of sausage sizzles and cash.

Some good questions here.

The laser comes with a matched PSU, which is a major point as I understand it.

The other questions we’ll have to go to Trotec with.

Bump

@l_shearer you answers…

Tubes break. Will it be guaranteed for the 12 months?

The tube shouldn’t break unless the cooling fails or you mistreat the machine and smash it about… However the gas inside becomes contaminated and has to be replaced. The tube will be a refurbished one.

Old lenses make for bad cuts, engraved. Will they refurbish the glass?

The glass is in good working order, old lenses aren’t the issue, again mishandling them, or long term neglect causes the dust to get burnt to the lens and block the light, eventually causing the lens to heat and crack… There is no sign of wear to the lens, but there is no way to know if it is new or old, and they won’t be replacing that I don’t imagine.

Will they polish or replace the mirrors?

Again this is unlikely because they are in good condition and don’t just wear out, they have to be damaged to have a fault. Unlikely.

Will they refurb or guarantee the HV supply?

The main issue is believed to be the power supply and the tube power, so these are both being replaced yes.

Will it include sufficient software license?

It comes with JobControl X which is the latest, and has an indefinite license, in the future they may update the software but we don’t have to use the new one unless we want the features… Honestly there is unlikely to be anything major that we’d need and they may be open to a free upgrade if they see some marketing value back in a couple years when it’s time to upgrade software.

Summary

Trotec are offering to do what is likely to cost them £5k to refurbish for £1k costs to us, they are giving us a machine which is still valued by them at £10k and they’ve already spend at least £3k on us with all the servicing and delivery.

Originally we agreed we’d cover the shipping costs to get it to us which was £600, they never asked for that either.

Trotec have been incredibly generous, supportive and understanding. They love what we’re doing and want to help, but they are a business and need to make it work for them.

Trotec no doubt has a multimillion pound turn over so they are hardly going to try and scam us out of £1k on some half baked laser cutter. The issues we’ve had so far they’ve tried to resolve and have been bad luck for the most part.

The Speed 300 is probably the best machine any Makerspace/Hackspace has in the world, it’s definitely better than the Epilogs used at most Fablabs, better than the Universal Laser Cutters I’ve used at my old job, it is way better than the laser cutters made HPC, Just Add Sharks and other imported chinese machines.

2 Likes

Terrific last paragraph @unknowndomain

With all the teething troubles of the cutter it’s easy to forget what a phenomenal win it is to have a Trotec in the space.

As Tom L I’ll need to wait for paid day to drop (don’t tell my wife I’ve backed e3d big box printer this month)

1 Like

£90 till our target is reached!

Only £10 till we reach our goal…let’s not let it slip away!

Better stick me down for the last tenner.

Brilliant :slight_smile:

I’ll send you all the bank details shortly so you can make the payment

This sounds very exciting! I’m in the U.S, will transfer the pledge at the weekend when I get back to London.

I went old school and gave TomL the hundred clams I pledged. He is probably strung out in a brothel with the proceeds as we speak??

You gave the money to Tom?

I do not have the money…

I was there…I certainly didn’t see Conor give Tom any money…

Conor…I guess it’s an expensive lesson learned.

He gave it you.