Recommendations for software for designing woodshop projects?

What software are people using to design woodwork projects? I currently use Sketchup but don’t love it and the paid version is expensive. I’d love to know if anyone’s found an affordable alternative which is specifically tailored to woodworking.

I’m really interested in this too! I have been doing a fairly mediocre job of three perspective drawings with Inkscape because it’s a tool I know, rather than one that’s suitable for the job.

Not specifically tailored, but I’ve enjoyed using the free version of fusion360. Added bonus is if you can learn it, CNC and 3d printing become easier too

3 Likes

If you are not doing commercial stuff then Fusion 360 will do all you need for free. bit of a steep learning curve but lots of tutorials out there.

1 Like

Fusion360 and there is a woodworking extension. It’s paid but makes cabinets and shelves design much more easy.

2 Likes

A novice perspective here but I’ve also appreciated Fusion360 - the free version is fully featured (just with a manageable limit on number of concurrent projects) so it’s not frustratingly cut-down or anything. While there’s definitely an initial learning curve, once I got to grips with the parametric modelling I really found it useful to be able to tweak the parameters on key variables in a design.

I saw Lars Christensen’s videos plugged in another thread around here, and found them super clear and helpful. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL40d7srwyc_Ow4aaOGXlP2idPGwD7ruKg

I’d been idly wondering actually if there’d be any interest in a learning group for Fusion 360, work through modelling some things together? Or could be a discussion topic for some woodworking evening perhaps?

2 Likes

I would try Fusion 360 or Shapr3d (great especially if you have an iPad). A lot of people also use Rhino but as it is not parametric, I tend not to like it. Good luck! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Many thanks all. Sounds like Fusion360 is the one to try!

I’d be up for some sort of learning group!

I was coming here to say I’ve also been happy with Fusion 360.

I use onshape because I only have a Linux computer to work with. I’m pretty happy with it to be honest. I’m pretty new to CAD so there might be things Fusion has that it doesn’t, the only one I feel the pain with is the lack of CAM support

1 Like

I’ve been using onshape recently as I found fusion frustratingly limited compared to the autodesk ‘professional’ produce inventor. Really enjoying it and the only limitation on the free version is that everyone can find your designs, might be a deal breaker for some if you’re worried about others borrowing