Purchasing a Kreg Jig or similar

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa4a39b9908> #<Tag:0x00007fa4a39b96d8> #<Tag:0x00007fa4a39b9480> #<Tag:0x00007fa4a39b9200>

Seen as we seem to have a nice flush kitty at the moment is it possible for the space to purchase a Kreg Jig set? or something similar? @woodtechs @directors

It is on our woodworking wish list…

https://www.kregtool.com/store/c13/kreg-jigsreg/

whaisit? I mean, I get that it’s a jig, but I’m too much of lazy arse to figure out the details, can you just explain it for me?

turns out you’re lazy too!

Usually 15 degrees. Are there mavericks out there that do it at 20?

I’m all in for jigs, of the woodworking and musical variety.

1 Like

Well its a lot easier than me typing it all out :stuck_out_tongue: … you were still going to need to read it yourself haha.

Aren’t these about £30? We should get one

If we have a bit more cash might be worth considering a biscuit joiner too ? a bit neater than screws

1 Like

Yeah there’s a couple different versions, starting from about 18 quid. But thought we could possible get one of the ‘Master systems’.

A biscuit joiner should also be on the shopping list!

1 Like

This is what I use all the time for biscuit joining http://www.screwfix.com/p/trend-biscuit-jointer-set-shank-37-2mm/86342

I was thinking something more like this as its easier for beginners to use, makes a more professional finish and frees up the router.

I understand its alot more expensive but if its in the budget for our space then we may as well do it…

1 Like

Directors will usually support purchases like this if the @woodtechs ask for it. Don’t take up much room, not massively expensive. Do need Risk Assessment etc. though…

A lot going on with inductions at the moment, so if they want to wait for the dust to settle (literally?) I wouldn’t blame them.

1 Like

@roles are ‘appointed’ by the directors.

At the moment we ask that a new member to an @role is unanimously agreed on by the existing members of that group.

So, we didn’t get the memo about you, aa they say.

There are already 4 woodtechs, and there’s been discussion about what a useful working number is for such a group (beyond the scope of this thread!).

Deleted my above posts as they were off topic :smiley:

I don’t think a cordless biscuit joiner is a good idea.

I did quite a lot of research on these when I bought one for Sammy as a Christmas present. There really is a huge difference between the cheap ones and the expensive ones. I ended up with a second hand DeWalt from eBay

Makita tools whether they are corded or cordless are usually of excellent quality…

But I was not necessarily opting for a cordless but more the brand, the corded version is about another 50quid extra, I was just thinking a little bit about cost.

I was going to split it to a new thread, but your diligence was faster than mine!

Let’s buy some tools.
I want to learn to mske as many joints as possible.
I think we should by one of each type and learn different techniques.

+1 jig
+1 biscuit thingy

• 1 good dowel jig.
2 Likes

Agreed! and good quality ones :smiley:

Yeah we got money. Let’s spend some on awesome tools. Let’s use our collective buying power to “promote learning”. Hay that would qualify us as a charity! Double whammy.

1 Like

Cordless is great if you’re on site or moving around a lot, but the biscuit jointer will only be used in one place so the disadvantages outweigh the advantages here.

Makita should be fine. Haven’t used one but I like the stuff of theirs I do have.

I agree with you.

It was just an example :slight_smile: