Publicity material and T-shirts

We have a bunch of events coming up, starting with Genuino Day this Saturday.

We need to a few things to maximise the potential of having new visitors:

• T-shirts, or badges if there’s no time
  • Flyers- was Jackie working on a new one?
  • Posters- reprints of the old ones are fine…they just never lasted in the space. It’s drier now!
  • New laminated signs for the Bath Factory Estate gates?
  • Postings on local forums and special interest sites?

Any thoughts?
@events @marketing @trustees

Are we hosting a specific activity for Genuino Day?

Quite specific

Poster design - I have templates, previous designs, and it is quick to tweak or make more. I’d like to expand this out to others in the membership. It’s done in Keynote as the easiest, most accessible way for most, and I can work things up into whatever anybody else wants, be it Inkscape, PowerPoint or Illustrator.

Poster mount - I have A3 foam board to mount if that’s how we’re going to do it.

T-shirts - I can cut clothing vinyl and still have a stock of Makerspace red, suits white t-shirts. I don’t however have access to a heat-press at the moment. An iron will do, but heat press is best.

Sign boards - Yes, we need some that are up to standard. It could be a good, involving project for some members to have some fun with the laser cutter? Same kind of process as the good companion sign.

2 Likes

Good stuff!

We could also laser cut badges for us and exhibitors ?

We can do anything… but time is limited.

I’m a bit skeptical of laser-cut badges, probably more because I don’t have a nice concept of one in my head than they’re a bad idea outright. Though I guess acrylic medallions could be kinda funny? Or 3D printed cube 'M’s!?

T-Shirts have the heat-press access issue, and would probably involve getting a job lot run up rather than canvassing for sizes.

So we need to come to something with one of those two sharpish.

The point at its simplest is to identify people to make it easier for the public.

I have blank stickers and a sharpie… If it comes to it.

But… If we have time we can do something much more professional and imaginative.

Time…

Though we have quite a collection of imaginative resourceful and creative members.

I still have my red tshirt with the white M if anyone wants to borrow it :slight_smile:

So I forget how to quote but will try to address all the points:

Genuino Day this Saturday

Ummm, this Saturday?! A bunch of events coming up?!

@Dermot, @events - we defo need to have a meeting to go over things and get dates in the diary and plan accordingly. I’m not sure how long this have been organised for - maybe my head has been in the sand, or clouds, or wherever, but this is the first I’m hearing about it and it’s really short notice to do any sort of marketing campaign or submit to the press. Of course we can make use of our own social media outlets and local flyering, but it’s not much time.

Badges
I have ordered from here before
http://www.badgesandstickers.co.uk/25mm-badges/4565323940
we can call to see if they could produce them for us in time but we have to have artwork ready to submit asap - the white M logo on red background I guess?

Also, there are bottle cap badges that we could make ourselves and is pretty fun but not enough lead time to order supplies and get them made but good for the future

I think laser cut badges would be good and I have a few cute ideas but I don’t know how to use the machine nor do I know if there’s actually time to finalise the design and produce it or if we have enough materials?
Ideas:
QR code that would link to the website
acrylic red/white M
circular or square with m

ake written on it or just the word make as the badge in wood or acrylic

Flyers
here’s my design for the front - I didn’t quite finish the back but can knock it up easily - basically just the text about where we are, what we offer, etc
Can also be edited to be used as a template for an events poster
@Toby I don’t have anything fancy and use Paint.net lol

Signage
Obviously not for this weekend but more generally - although this is super ambitions esp because the name is long - I would love if we had a light up marquee style sign:
http://www.robesondesign.com/8-steps-to-diy-marquee-letters/

This sign might be really cool out the front like we always said we would do @tobyspark, Make a big M on the front with these bulbs? Silver inside and red outside? Maybe?

If you don’t see a “quote reply” thing appear when you highlight text, then p’raps something is up with your browser and/or it doesn’t work on touchscreens?

Like this –

Bollocks. I wrote a long reply and it’s not here. Did have some weirdness with an image not uploading. That’s the first Discourse-snafu I’ve had, at least.

Let’s focus on getting our house in order. We can promote beyond usual channels for future events (I’m thinking of you, film fest). We’ve already got the boost with this being part of Arduino worldwide.

Nice. 1-4 days their site says. We’d need bigger than 1" if we want to use to sign “helper” to visitors.

I’d say too many unknowns for T-Shirts at the moment.

I’m coming around to Dermot’s laser cut badge idea. I think this is doable in the time, if the materials can be got. Could be something like this, red acrylic with white paper spraymounted to the back? Would need lanyards and hole to clip in. What were your ideas?

Great concept, looks good. I don’t think there’s time for this Saturday, but we should spend an hour in the space with my laptop and nail this.

I think we should try for the ‘this way’ signs to be remade / improved for this Saturday. It could be an open evening project tomorrow to get some laser ply cut to start making signs up like how the big sign was done. Of course, I have no time, but could supply drawings to be cut and could guide somebody whose going to be at the space tomorrow. Would need probably two laser-bed’s worth of wood and the makerspace red paint, as well as generic white paint.

Yes. Yes and yes.

We have been slow on the Genuino/Arduino Day

However: it’s been FB’d and widely Tweeted, and I’ve spread the word within the London Arduino community.

As I recall many of the visitors previously were Arduino fans.

But we could have done more for public reach.

Listings websites? Too late? @Stuart can you put a link on you Geek Out Today site? And do you have any other advice? And are you bringing your ‘Twinter’? Even if it’s Pi based?

@unknowndomain did we have a bag of lanyards somewhere? Or do you have a source?

Badges will be great, and anyone who has a T-Shirt could bring it.

@JackieO ‘loads of events’ really meant this Saturday and impending Film Fest.

Though a celebration of the building work being finished would be a nice one to add in!

Tommel (Tom Lynch) has done a bunch of A4 posters. Should we attempt to get these in local shop windows? I think ha had some suggested places?

Signs…There are a few laser cut 'M’s still knocking around. There is red paint and whiter paint in the Snug.

Does anybody know if there is red (and poss white) acrylic in the space now we could commandeer for name badges and order replacement stock for? Otherwise I need to order by 3pm today.

How much do you need? There’s some left over from my central line cut. Quite a bit of white available too

Dunno. I’m currently imagining name badges around [gets out ruler] 70x140mm, and we’ll need at least five of them? Preferably do a whole batch.

(Sketch design above wouldn’t hang right, so I’m now thinking vertical stack of two squares, top the M and the bottom the white name space. It’s turning into an Apple Store name tag!)

Ah, 400x200mm minimum?

In terms of clear rectangles, I can offer you this in red:
500x80
and the following in white:
300x180, 240x120, 200x150

Approx, as measured off the CAD, not the actual plastic.

Great. Me and Jackie will use that tonight, and will order some more tomorrow, how much more depending on what happens tonight. Where is it?

I’ll pop by on my way home and leave it out (around 18:00)