Pouring paints

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa499202958>

Hi all! So… I wanna come into the space to do some acrylic pouring paints. It’s acrylic, so not tooo hard to clean up, but was thinking what the best place to do it would be. Obviously somewhere in Messy, but on the lighttable? Or the table on the wall w/ all the paints on it?

We’ll clean up, but always better to ask!

1 Like

I don’t know what you mean, but I’m intrigued! Will you share some photos?

1 Like

Washroom? People pour over sinks/trays with grid on them where the canvas can rest when the left over paint can drop down.

I can share pictures!

Petra, yeah, I think putting the canvas on some grate or something would be good… but in the washroom? Somehow I feel that will make more of a mess than over a flat surface that we can then wipe down thoroughly, no? I think our media is bigger than the sink :-\

I might just bring some garbage bags and cover one of the tables or somethin

1 Like

Yeah, you’re best off with putting down some newspaper or plastic bags that can contain everything and then be folded up and thrown away.

1 Like

confession: I got totally addicted to watching paint pouring videos on 2x speed a couple years ago :joy: can I watch!??!!

will you be trying silicone (and fayarrr :fire: :fire:)

4 Likes

lololol! WHAT? Why at 2x speed? It’s like power-yoga or something! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
You can do more than watch, you can pour w/ us! I’ll bring an extra canvas or 2. I’m making a booking now.

2 Likes

https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/pouring-paints/22047

2 Likes

hahaha 2x speed cause “show me all the possibilities ALREADY” and I inconveniently have a full time job to go back to :rofl::joy:

omg you’re too kind keep them! I’ll be more than happy watching

but now you’re making me wonder - I see there is such a thing as fabric medium for acrylic paint that makes it washable (https://www.cassart.co.uk/craft/craft-painting/product-type-fabric-paint/liquitex-fabric-medium-118ml.htm?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&productid=11614&gclid=Cj0KCQjw4uaUBhC8ARIsANUuDjUI5TyMUoQY-2dtZEqxgwysCslmCu4WGlD2kmjM8zh__91lXF0ir2kaAgggEALw_wcB) I wonder if you could use this technique on cotton if you’re really fast (I think gesso makes canvases waterproof so without it it won’t glide the same) @Lauren if you’re feeling messy :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Not sure if that would work…the paint would end up quite thick and that might make the fabric very stiff.

But I think you could achieve similar effects with water marbeling technics.

Yeees very good point. You might get away with that if you were making a pattern piece where that can work. Eg nice accent on centre back of a denim jacket :heart::sun_with_face::sunglasses:

I’ve never researched marbling, you can do that with fabric paints?

Hi,:smiley_cat: you can have a look in to a technique called hydro dipping by which you float a number of colours in a tank of water and by skimming your object over the surface or slightly submerging it the pattern will stick to the surface of the object.

1 Like

Thank you Brian ! So much stuff to try, so little time!!