Polls

Can we please make all polls and results visible to all members?
The last few have “can only be viewed by staff members”

Thanks
@systems
@directors
@admin

4 Likes

Transparency!

I also think the voting doesn’t have to be anonymous.

1 Like

Is that possible to do without seeing who voted for which result? Having public votes where people can see who votes for what is just a recipe for further drama in my experience.

2 Likes

Respect your opinion, Petra, but cannot state how strongly I disagree here. I’ve been part of more than one community where non-anonymous voting has led to lots of inter-member strife as people take votes for and against what they want to do as a personal affront.

I’d be substiantlly uncomfortable voting in any sort of poll on the makerspace knowing that I wasn’t voting anonymously, and I don’t think I’m the only one.

5 Likes

If the vote is not anonymous people won’t vote ( same as political votes)

3 Likes

Would you mind trying once more? I am not sure if this was caused by closing the subject, if it was - then that was my fault and I apologize.

If that’s your experience it’s better to avoid that I suppose.

I like to use polls on discourse for events, it’s nice to see who’s coming…but maybe I’m too optimistic when it comes to people forming secret groups based on opinions, I’ve personally had different and sometimes very opposite opinions from my closest slms friends and could live with it without a conflict, but also had bad experience of my opinion being vilified and fantastically extrapolated by people I’d never/barely spoken to so I guess - yes, let’s keep it anonymous.

I purposely made the last one anonymous, as there are many that wouldn’t vote otherwise. You should be able to see the results once it is closed? Either way I will post them! - Edit - can you see now?

No

(To clarify my vote - I think there should be a touch base every month and am split between 2nd and 3rd option)

@asander1 it says result only shown to staff

1 Like

Ok will post them shortly!

Posted - sorry - I thought the results were visible once voting was closed!

If there are others that don’t have results, please let me know!

The Gorilla poll was anonymous on purpose because no one wants to be the one that is negative about another members project, but it is in fact impacting their ability to make and use the Space. Members that don’t 3d print or use textiles may not care, but others certainly do!

Thanks for flagging…

The results sub key of the polls needs to be set to on_close instead of staff_only. Some poll edits may reset the votes but I would hope not that one.

2 Likes

While we’re throwing around vote system suggestions, if I may suggest one myself. I’d like it to be possible to veto my own vote. I did vote initially (on a poll that was later removed) but I decided to veto my vote. At first impression, it looked like it did veto, but a page refresh shows it did not. Is this possible? Thanks.

2 Likes

It’s unusual to do this on discourse I have to say, as it’s a fast (and lazy) way of getting something done without adhering to historical way of making decisions where they are expected to be done.

Which is most members expectation. We haven’t had a meeting like that in 3 months? (@asander1 this was some of your pre-director-election critique of then-directors as well, it’d be nice to follow though…)

This clearly put some individual members on spot, despite directors having policies about calling individuals out on discourse.

Please please keep it chill and have some monthly members meetings again. Thanks!

PS: things change for volunteering people for sure, would be nice to see directors actively refreshing their commitments, for example since Howard s term has expired, it would be nice to see some new face that would fill (similarly to Andy filling some paperwork needs )the gap of some directorial tasks that are being left out, like members meeting organisation and on-ground work). But I do appreciate Howards maker spirit filling directorial post too.

This was fast by necessity, the options were to quickly poll the members or to put the Gorilla on the street, which some of you wanted to avoid. So this was the fastest way to get the most participation.

We have never ever had monthly members meetings, despite that being the goal at some point, here is the reality:

• 3 in 2016
  • 6 in 2017
  • 7 in 2018
  • 4 in 2019
  • 2020-21 - covid
  • 2 in 2022
  • 3 hosted by me since I joined as a Director in late 2022

Point being, monthly is unrealistic - I think they should be every 2 months instead, but yes we are due for one!

Also, apparently the term limits thing is still just a proposal and not actually enacted, but yes I would love some more assistance!

1 Like

I do appreciate the matter of fact reply. But you’re missing some data, there were some meetings in 2020-21 as well.

2023 - 2 and we’re in the 7th month.

Yes i know, I didn’t want to skew the data though, how many?

1 Like

At least 5 in 2020.

There are 8 in 2022 I just found.

I was looking at the notes… and there are some dupes…

I was looking at discourse members meeting posts.