Poll: Resin curing oven - keep or dispose?

As part of the snug cleanup process, people who were involved identified items that we may not want to keep. We agreed in a member meeting to poll the membership on each item.

• If you are the owner/guardian etc of the item, please say so in a reply to stop the poll.
  • Please vote and then, if you wish, make a case in a reply post for your stay/go vote.
  • If you would be interested in taking over the item, post that in a reply.
  • Polls will stay open for 7 days.
  • Items with no votes at all will be disposed of.

Description: Oven reserved for resin curing. Can someone post on history and whether it is functioning?

• Keep
  • Dispose

0 voters

Dispose unless it can be opened for wider use! This is hugr and power hungry for just one task!

Return to an original owner who might or might not be still a member. it is an industrial oven for proffesional kitchen, or used to be. It has to be wired on 3 phase circuit. He did want it back, so perhaps it’s the time!

1 Like

Sounds good- can someone reach out?

Hi all, you should keep it, it has more uses than you think, keep well . Brian D=

1 Like

I agree- the issue is it is on loan and restricted to only resin.

If it is donated and we can use it for anything we want, great. Otherwise I suggest the owner takes it back…

Its not restricted to resin, it WAS used for resin at some point 4 years ago. We could totally make bread? But again, lets see with Andy (not Sanders)

1 Like

Ooohh I thought it was restricted…

We want to powder coat metal! So if thats an option then I am in favour!

2 Likes

I think we need to proceed in the following order:

1. Ask Andy if he wants to take the oven back or donate it to the space?
    I think those should be the primary (or only options).
  2. If donate, then we can release it from being “resin-only” and can discuss what else we could do with it.
  3. Then we can decide if we want to do those things enough to warrant keeping it.
  4. Then we can decide where to put it, how to wire it in etc

Who will volunteer to ask Andy?

3 Likes

I texted him just now

1 Like

@petra did you ever hear back on the oven?

Thanks!

I just PM’d him as well - will see!

Wanna try using it for drying turning blanks.

Andy didn’t reply, tried calling him as well, he didn’t pick up. I think safest option is keeping it as he was so kind to lend it to us and was very clear about wanting it back at some point…(no hacking though)

Yes, i think we just pretend its ours and do what we want with it…

If he’s not goong to come get it, it makes no sense to toss it either… so bake a cake, dry blanks, powder coat, whatever members wanna do!

1 Like

In the limits of not drilling into it I’d thought.

Do we need to modify it for any of those activities? I don’t know - but also brings up the question, if he’s not going to come get it - why can’t we…

Being respectful to things on long term loan would be my preffered way…

I totally understand, and that is very generous, but I don’t think we should make space, run power etc. for a longterm loan that we can’t do whatever we want with. It needs to be donated or not…

If he is not responding, it has been over 2 years and is abandoned… see the storage rules:

Sorry, I am sure I am coming off a bit harsh - but I think we have been too lenient in the past and keep moving the same junk around the space over and over…

Sounds like this oven came in for a workshop about 3 years ago, which is great in theory:

https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/arch-2-proposal-first-ideas/18786/25

But it never followed the loan / donate process:

Ie: I don’t see any written Director approval, or a risk assessment, and at then end of the day it is all the owner’s own risk.

This is why I think we should consider is abandoned if they are not responding after 3 months of trying. Hope this makes sense, and you don’t think I am being mean! thanks!

2 Likes