Pay as you go membership?

I’m using the space a lot less than I anticipated and have moved further away now making getting more difficult so sadly I’ve just cancelled my direct debit (is there a proper way to cancel a membership?)

But I was wondering if there was any plan to put in a pay as you go set up? It would be cool to have the option to be able to use the space maybe once or twice every few months. Or would the easiest thing be to just reinstate membership for the months I think id be likely to use it?

The “official” way to stop your membership is to log in at https://members.southlondonmakerspace.org, go to Direct Debit and click cancel. Cancelling the DD with your bank can cause confusions in the system (although this might be fixed now/soon. @unknowndomain?)

You can go to the same page to reinstate the payment.

The trouble with PAYG is that nearly everyone would sign up with it if it was available, thus making income very unpredictable.

Ah right thanks Tom

Yeah I see what you mean, I’ve cancelled “officially” now so hopefully it doesn’t confuse anything. I’ll just reinstate the payment in the future when I’m around more to use the space then.

Cheers!

1 Like

If you cancelled the direct debit with your bank it will prevent you from signing up again without director involvement.

If however you go to the membership system and just cancelled the subscription and or mandate then it won’t prevent you in future.

This bug has been fixed in the latest version but Makerspace isn’t running it.

Tip: you could reinstate the mandate which gives us permission to charge you but doesn’t actually do it. That bit takes a few days to setup but then in future you can create the subscription, wait for the membership to become active again the next day or two and cancel only the subscription and you’ll get a month of membership without having to wait an entire week, and spend time entering your bank details.

1 Like

Nice thanks I’ve called the bank and reinstated the DD and cancelled through the member system. So I can start up the membership quicker in the future

Thanks for your help Tom’s

@directors can you copy and paste the Mandate ID for Tom into GoCardless and see if that mandate is active still, I suspect if you cancelled it then it won’t become reactive.

Checked it out and mandate is showing as active, so @Tom_Jackson you should be able to reinstate payments whenever you wish to in future.

1 Like