Parking nearby?

So with my membership fee paid, I guess I’m officially in! I’ll be driving along to the Makerspace 9 times out of 10, though, so I wanted to ask what the parking situation was? I know that you can park in the Lido’s car park, but that’s only 2 hours free, so I was wondering what else people might know about nearby?

Hi Huw,

Welcome! Hopefully this helps: Find the South London Makerpace - Parking

If folks have more wisdom, please add it to the page!

1 Like

Sod’s law says there was something I didn’t find when I looked… Thanks Kyle!

Not at all your fault! The search is not amazing…

Hi Theranis! I’m not a member but I live nearby. You can park after 2pm and all weekend(?) if I recall free of charge in most of Herne Hill (e.g. Winterbrook, Stradella Road) and it’s pretty quiet around there with a decent amount of space (go north past the makerspace and turn right at the lights).

Towards Brixton the restrictions are a bit tighter.

1 Like

The unwritten rules of parking in the estate are kind of complicated but I’m sure you’ll pick them up.

If you block people in make sure they know where they can find you.

If you get blocked in ask around don’t get angry

Is parking around the back but they do lock the gate on you occasionally

Leave your number and location on a note in the windscreen well to begin with until people get to know your car

Don’t use any more space than you absolutely have to

Don’t hit a recently resprayed classic car

Use your intelligence we all have to use limited parking spaces and we use them as efficiently as we can

1 Like

Street parking is relatively relaxed if you know where to look.

Outside

• Norwood Road is restricted between 07:00 and 19:00 on week days plus Saturday. Pay and Display is available for 4 hours maximum but you’ll be lucky to get a spot, there’s only about 16 spaces between about 50 something businesses on that stretch of road. Look elsewhere if you’re not a confident driver, lots of delivery bikes buzz around and park super close and traffic is fast moving.

To the North of Maker Space:

• Milkwood Road past Sainsburys outside the houses is restricted between 12:00 and 14:00 on week days.

• Dulwich Road is restricted between 08:30 and 17:30 (9 hours), some locations are P&D (max. stay 4 hours), some are not.

• Half Moon Lane is restricted between 12:00 and 14:00 (2 hours, P&D available) but parking spaces are spread out far and few between.

• Stradella Road off Half Moon Lane, the first few spaces either side of the road are restricted between 08:30 and 18:30 (10 hours), you can only park there for 1 hour maximum, no P&D option. Continue further down the road and the restriction changes to 12:00 to 14:00 P&D on week days, unrestricted on weekends.

To the South of Maker Space:

• Croxted Road is restricted from 12:00 to 14:00 (2 hours, P&D available) on weekdays and free all day on weekends.

• Guernsey Grove and Hawarden Grove just off Croxted Road are the same.

Maybe I’ll whip up a quick and dirty colour-coded map to make it easier to visualise. The problem with these areas is that it can be awkward to turn around because it’s so busy. The safest bet in my opinion would be to check out those roads to the South of Maker Space, I’ve never had issues finding a spot there.

3 Likes