North African inspired Japanese Shoji Lamp

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa4983f6c10> #<Tag:0x00007fa4983f6ad0> #<Tag:0x00007fa4983f6990>

Hi everyone,
This is my first proper project since joining, as well as my third ever woodworking project and I wanted to share it with you guys. I learned a lot while doing this, and made a lot of mistakes in the process but that’s all part of the game I reckon.
I started off but chopping off some of the big lump o’ walnut I bought recently.

Luckily the edges of the lumber itself were pretty square so I didn’t have to bother anyone into using the planer/thicknesser but I did require the table saw, and since this was before I was inducted on it, the lovely @Kyle and @howard were kind enough to rip some of the boards to the correct length.

I wanted to make the frame with half lap joints which I had been practicing using scrap wood in the shop for a week or two. I got a lot of advice from @mbg and @Joeatkin2 on how to approach it and using different methods yielded different results. I made the two square frames that would hold the corner pillars together.

Once I cut out the corresponding slots on the frame I did a dry fit to see how it came together, and after some minor adjustments, it fit together barely barely square.

I then wired up the cable, switch and plug for the lamp, and as the space hasn’t gone up in smoke I think I did it correctly.

I then made a cross beam and threaded the 10mm bolt through a hole I made in the cross beam with the pillar drill to secure it in place.

I then glued up the walnut frame.

Next came the laser cutting, I designed the panels in a 2:1 ratio so the square panel at the top would be easy to replicate in the side rectangular panels. And after some help from @Martyn_Thomas and @scythian I had the panels cut out on 3mm ply
they were ever so slightly large so using the No. 4 plane I shaved off a it off each side till they fit nice and snug.

I backed the panels onto some beautiful Japanese Shoji rice paper and stuck them onto their sides, leaving the top panel with just a friction fit so I could replace the bulb when necessary

finished off with some danish oil to make that walnut pop
and that’s it done!

special thanks to @slimshelly for the podcast entertainment with @mbg :joy:

19 Likes

It’s beautiful.

1 Like

Great work! Nice one @Walid , looks great :+1:

1 Like

That came out so nice! Well done!

1 Like

Really lovely

1 Like

Great job Walid!! Wonderful seeing your progress over a short period of time. I appreciate your use of multiple disciplines within SLMS (wood shop and laser), as well as the speed you’ve had in getting up and running. Looking forward to what you’ll be making next!

4 Likes