No idea how, but wanna make a loft bed

No idea how, but wanna make a loft bed out of scaffolding tubes. Any idea where to source them very cheaply? Has anyone ever built anything like it and can give me some guide?

Thank you!

Google ‘key clamps’ for some ideas. You can buy from fhbrundle.co.uk

2 Likes

Aw thank you! I’ll have a look!

Nice one rich!

Do you know what the stands are called as well?
The bits on the bottom that you attach so it doesn’t fall over

Some inspiration.
These designs are free standing so you don’t need to attach to wall or floor.
Think this was one of your requirements.

1 Like

Do you have a mattress yet?
The design may well have to work around the mattress, rather than finding the right mattress after.
When you have those dimensions you can design the frame.
If you want I can help

1 Like

@dermot. Where did you get the scaffolding poles for the bike rack in the end?
Was it that place in Sydenham I mentioned our did you find another good source?

Scaffolding planks may work for the wood bits of the design. I’m trying to find out where to get them…

Thank you Paul! You have done the homework for me! Lol, but after my visit to the space :rocket: yesterday I think I might changed my mind?

:laughing:
Really?

Watch out for scaff planks - they have end bands etc and often random nails and screws in them that’ll annihilate an electric planer. Not to mention they’re usually warped to heck after being left outside for months at a time and walked on

1 Like

Bought the scaffold poles and boards from a place in Wimbledon/Earlsfield. I’ll try to dig out the name if you need it.

1 Like

It would be nice for reference any way.
But no hassle

1 Like

My mum and dad made bunk beds out of scaffolding poles for two of my sisters. They painted the poles and it looked pretty good and lasted for years. They just used sheets of thick plywood for the mattresses to go on. Although one sister did manage to break her arm by trying to slide down a corner pole head first, but that was because she is a nutter.

4 Likes

I’d put the mattresses onto slats - you can buy them from IKEA for not much money. Not a bad place to buy mattresses either.

1 Like

Yes that’s better because then the mattress can breathe.

I am not sure how I am going to make it to the top Sarah. I might end up in hospital too. Lol

1 Like

Good idea Rich. I have one double one single mattress and a possible base for the double already! Thanks

That’s on my way to work! Thank you Dermot

Thank you Chris. I’ll have a look :eyes:
Ana