New thread cone for Wimsew machine

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa498120a68>

Hiya textiles users and @textilestechs, advice needed.

I bought this SUMAC20 poly cotton thread cone - it’s apparently very strong, for hard wearing goods.

Firstly, I’m happy to leave it here at the makerspace for everyone to use, is that all good?

Secondly, it’s a lot thicker than regular thread. Is it safe to use in the Wimsew? To thread to the bobbin etc? And do we still have only one Wimsew bobbin, as per the instructional vid?

The website said it wants Needle size: 130-160, I don’t know how that relates to the Wimsew. Looking at the machine now, the other threads seems to be much thinner. Would the Bernina be a better candidate ? Is a needle swap required ? Thanks :blush:

Update : with the advice of a more experienced textiles user here I did load this thread up in the bobbin and upper machine. Sadly it isn’t working great - bobbin thread gets very tangled underneath. Resulting in bottom threads that look like this:

have you tried adjusting the tension? it does look a bit thick but maybehaving a slightly tighter tension will help

It’s a good shout - however I tried a few different tension settings with no luck. It may be the case that I threaded the machine wrong. Or, to use thread like this a different type of machine (with more bobbin tension?) is neccessary.

Anyway, in the end I threaded up with the the regular black thread again. Perhaps that cone of thread will be useful for anyone doing some hand stitching!