New Laser PC - IMPORTANT: Old PC getting removed on Saturday!

We have a New PC for the Laser Station!

You Ruby username and password from the Old PC will work on the new PC, however your Designs and Jobs have not been copied over. See below steps on how to move them across.

The New PC has the latest Illustrator, Inkscape and Affinity Designer installed

We’re keeping the old PC in place until 9th Dec to allow members to remove any files, after this date it will be removed.
The Old PC is no longer connected to the laser.
The keyboard and mouse is plugged into the front of the new PC for easy ‘switching’ between PCs.

Do Not Store Personal Files On The New PC - It Is Not A File Store! Files Will Be Removed Without Warning!

To copy your Designs and Jobs:

• Move the Keyboard and Mouse plugged into the front of the New PC to the Old PC
  • Turn on the Old PC and log into Ruby
  • In the Design Screen click the ‘select all’ check box on the top-left of your list, and click the export icon
  • Wait a few moments for your Designs to be downloaded
  • Repeat the steps in the Job Screen
  • Move the two Zip Files to a USB drive
    Unplug the Keyboard to free up a USB port if need, don’t forget to delete the Zip files from the Download folder
  • Log out of Ruby and shut down the old PC

Old%20PC%20Gif

• Plug the Keyboard and Mouse into the front of the New PC
  • Turn on the new PC and log into Ruby
  • In the Design Screen, drag-and-drop the Design Zip file into the Design Screen
  • Wait a few moments for Ruby to process
  • Repeat the steps for the Job screen

New%20PC%20Gif

@laserusers @lasertechs

7 Likes

Thanks Martyn, I used it this morning and all was well.
Do you know how we can set it up so that we can log into Ruby remotely (whilst in the space). Ruby on the old laser PC was always available at https://slms-05.local:2402/
It’s useful to be able to log into Ruby from a personal machine and upload the file to your account. I found it was a quicker workflow for getting files into Ruby then messing about with USB sticks.
I’m in the space today, so happy to get it set up if you know how?

Remote access isn’t currently setup on the new PC - I’ll be in the space this evening finishing up a few things like setting up remote access

(I was in the space until 2am with @Kyle and @asander1 trying to find a way to bulk move Designs/Jobs without success…so there’s a few pick ups for me to do tonight)

3 Likes

Always used job control. Do I need another induction or can a @lasertechs or laser user just talk me through Ruby

@lewisss I am certainly hoping job control comes back reasonably promptly!

• Remote Access has been enabled (new URL: https://10.0.4.108:2402/ Tools page etc. will be updated in due course)

• Job Control is now installed (and materials imported)
    I’m don’t know how to use Job Control so unable to test - so let me know if you have any problems

5 Likes

Could we put the laser on a fixed IP outside the DHCP range? I believe 10.0.4.27 is available if that suits. I’m also happy to put in an A record for laser.space.southlondonmakerspace.org if you’d like.

1 Like

Suggestion, in case there’s a second laser one day, give it a number. Like laser1.space

1 Like

a fixed IP is a smart move, i wouldn’t worry to much about A record stuff.

We don’t encourage remote use of the laser - because you need to be at the laser to use it, and by using Ruby remotely it only takes one wrong click to mess up the work of the person using the laser while you’re remoted onto it.

1 Like

I think that potential numbering probably holds for most tools? We can CNAME it when the time comes.

You can put private IPs in DNS but it won’t be routable outside the space. It just means we can move stuff around without breaking people’s bookmarks.

Fantastic thanks for sorting that out Martyn!

I’m genuinly happy to be able to do anything and not have to wait seconds for anything to happen on that machine!

Thank you very much!

1 Like

@laserusers
Reminder that the old Laser PC will be removed on Saturday - If you have any Ruby Designs or Jobs you will need to export and import into the new PC. If you have any files on the old machine - you will have to get them before Saturday

Martyn

2 Likes

Cool!

Password reset for Ruby has been tested on the new one, right?

It’s what i’m doing tonight (among a few other clean ups)

2 Likes

Can we connect the old laaser pc to one of the monitors in the clean room for these 4 days only?
@lasertechs @3dtechs

I want to point out it’s a @Kyle idea… He made me swear i mention it. so pick with him!

What 4 days are you referring to?

On the weekend the old Laser PC is going to be removed from the Laser station and put in the snug, at which point - I don’t mind what happens to it (as long as it’s not in the laser station)

Haha, the idea was to hook it up to a screen and keyboard til Saturday so folks could pull off what they needed with swapping/interrupting. Federico has insisted we use the cnc screen so all good?

Yes it’s next to the mini cnc now ( better idea than @kyle 's).

So for these 4 days, up to Saturday the 9th inclusive) Vcarve will be used on the laptop only, as monitor keyboard and mouse are connected to the old laser pc.

On Sunday the 10th we will disconnect the pc and the mini cnc station will go back to normal.
Thanks @cnctechs