New laser lens holder please

@Jonathan @lasertechs - Im afraid i slightly melted the lens holder this morning - I had cleaned the lens and put it back in, but the ‘lock’ was counterclockwise instead of clockwise, so even though it felt like it was locked - it was the opposite way.

The laser is still working, but could you possibly print us another holder, as it may not last for very long.
Sorry and thank you! It might be worth noting somewhere, (to check the lens is in) as it feels like its locked when it isn’t.

Ok, will come into take a look. Please put the out of order sign up until the machine is assessed. Thanks for telling us.
Jonathan

It’s working fine, lens is sound, but holder a bit wrecked

This exact same thing happened to me!

Can we just have a little sign to remind users that for the lens holder/beam cover its ‘righty loosey lefty tighty’

A label seems like a good idea.

Yeah. Well. I can put another sign up BUT it’s something we all can pay attention to because its part of the process, checking with your fingers if the locking ring holds the lensholder well. The lasercutter rules are loose already, if people were forgetting setting up othe machines they probably would be reinducted. Also the sign mentioning it has been up already.

2 Likes

So…that’s another lens and holder in the bin today

We’re the UK record holder for wrecking lenses…other spaces get them to last for years

Maybe we should switch to BYOL (bring your own lens)

1 Like

This is basically the causes of the issue every time this has ever happened, it’s a crap design.

The suggestion was already made to fit a magnet into the lens holder to stop it falling out, another option could be to 3D printer a physical clasp and stop using the thumb turn because this has been an issue since the first minute we got the laser, everyone makes this mistake, and it’s costing the space a huge amount of money.

1 Like

Well, it will cost the space nothing if the users are charged for the replacement parts. The cost of servicing this machine is already covered by the space so maybe it’s time we enforce a rule that states if you make the mistake, you pay the replacement. I’ve been using this machine for 2+ years and never destroyed a lens or holder. If we all just take our time and treat the machine like we should this shouldn’t be an issue… (that’s my opinion anyways).

2 Likes

That’s fair.

1 Like

I am 100% against that proposal.

If you start charging people for things they broke then they’ll stop telling you when they broke it and then things get dangerous, or at very least annoying.

Also you end up in a witch hunt to figure out who did it.

It’s much simpler to just fix the issue which is a crap design and a fault in the induction process, you could change the induction process to include telling people to tug on the lens before each session and that would ensure they knew if it was loose or not, and second you could just fit a magnet or a clasp that has a positive click that ensures it can’t fall out and people don’t make the mistake.

The laser cutter was designed for use by trained professionals, it’s used by learning hobbyists, accidents happen, reporting them is important, however a common breakage pattern has emerged and the solution is to use design and training, not to punish people financially.

Wow, that’s intense… it was merely a thought. I mention the locking ring in every induction and still this happens. I will focus my thoughts on a proposal to solve the current trotec design… more to follow… :+1:

Haha, sorry if that came across wrong.

Sounds like the induction covers this already then, it didn’t when I was last shown the process last year.

However I wonder if it might be useful as the specific issue is that people are tightening it the wrong way feeling it stop and assuming it’s done, maybe the rule should be to tug the lens to see if it comes out, rather than turning the screw.

I also emphasise all errors that has even broken the machine and make people tighten the locking ring and try to pull lightly the holder to feel its held well during the induction, usually at the beginning and the end too.

1 Like

Sounds like the training isn’t working then.
There’s lots of ways to fix that, however realistically they’re going to involve a lot more work from the laser techs, and thats not fair on you.
However a physical design change would help.
I would add that we didn’t have these issues when I was the laser tech in the early days, it sounds like in part this is to do with the increased usage, however we were all terrified of loosing the lenses back then as we didn’t have the cash to replace it at £300 a pop back then.
I still maintain that these plastic holders are part of the issue, the metal holders would block the beam and yes get hot, but not for long because you’d notice the beam stop cutting and stop the job.

I have dyslexia and have always struggled with left and right. Most of the time its no big deal and doesn’
effect things but conceptually its hard to get my brain to understand when its flipped…

When it happened to me, and from what @tinkalo described happened to her, was not as a result of not bothering/ forgetting to tighten the retaining ring it just feels tightened down when it actually at its loosest.

I have to concede this point though, and again think a simple little sign mounted on the actual lid of the machine would really go a long way.

I think this is a totally valid point. Everyone is learning and sometimes, despite peoples best intentions, just forget things.

Next time I am in I will make some. Hopefully that might solve everything…

Not a sign, but an actual label on the holder itself. To anyone who isn’t technically inclined, the anti-clockwise turn required to lock it is unexpected and counterintuitive since everyone who has made this mistake has assumed it has been tightened when it’s at the wrong end (bottom). Perhaps it needs to be explained by holding a drink bottle upside down during the induction and making each inductee tighten the cap :o)

2 Likes