New induction format for tools in the woodshop after the basic induction

Thanks to all for putting this new system together

@moderators can pin it (discourse word for stick)

1 Like

This seems to be excellent approach, thank you

1 Like

This sounds great Max. Thanks to all who have been working on it!

Added the basic induction, table saw, and planer quizzes to the main post

3 Likes

Added the router quiz

3 Likes

Great system, thanks for putting it together!

@moderators can I have access to this page: How to get inducted on the tools

I’d like to include a note for this process for the wood tools

@mbg I opened the topic, pls lemme know when you’re done I’ll close again.

And THANK YOU for this initiative… sorely needed.

1 Like

Appreciate the new system, but unsure if this applies to the basic, basic woodwork induction. Is the previous list format still relevant?

The basic induction is still more or less the same as the old one, though we do have an associated quiz to go along with it now.

The intent with the whole system is to have a basic that acts as an orientation session to the woodshop, a bit of a lesson on tool usage, as well as a screen to catch improper/unsafe usage that can result in injury or tool damage. This is really important as some of the ways to hurt yourself or damage the tools can be non-obvious to many people. The quiz is there because we want members to make use of the documentation we have online (not everyone remembers everything from a 2 hour session).

The assessments are more at your own pace, the expectation is that you show us that you can use the tool safely and competently, and you confirm that you’ve read and understand the tool page and risk assessment.

1 Like

Thanks Max, so just to clarify - To begin the induction we should read through the materials and reach out when we feel ready to take the assessment?

There are a lot of messages to wade through and it isn’t clear what the process is (your description was clear though). In the last day three people have added their names to the wood induction list.

It might be good to have a description of the process and not allow people to message. That can be the central link to point people towards.

I’ve completed the basic induction. I’m not clear what the next steps would be to be inducted on tools that don’t currently have a quizz. For instance the track saw?

Hi there, do you have to get full marks on the quiz for a wood tech to sign you off once they have observed you?

Thanks,

Hi Rory,

The way we have it set up is to get notified when someone gets 100% on a quiz.

Hi Max(@mbg), I was just trying to have a look at the tool page for the handheld router/router table and couldn’t seem to open either of them, getting the error message below, is there now a new page somewhere else?

This was the page I was getting the link from List of Tools in the Space!

Nevermind! I think I’ve found the latest ones on this page now https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/tags/wood-workshop

Not sure what happened but here is the link to the routers:

I’ll take a look and fix the broken link

1 Like

Wow, this is a massive improvement from when I were last frequenting the space. Well done and thanks to all the people making it possible.