New backing/hook pad for orbital sander

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa48abce720>

Hello @woodtechs,

@joeatkin2 as been noticing this as well.

I think the hooks on the orbital sander have been melted/worn out - can I purchase and expense a new pad for use tomorrow evening? Have quite a lot of sanding to do :slight_smile: https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-hard-version-sanding-backing-pad-125mm/259HF?tc=JQ6&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw9eO3BhBNEiwAoc0-jdPOTk8RLug6r7rexbjqg00JCnF2Y-7YzhFNcp6JFKgUzqjDbON1DRoCQLgQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I’ll also use the label maker to remind people not to apply to much force to the sander

Matthew

Not sure if we have the 120mm or 150mm in the space, I assume 150…

This seem to go pretty fast, we’ve gone through 4 in the past year. I can order some more

I wasn’t aware / it wasn’t in the training you are not meant to apply pressure to the sander other wise it’ll burn through the pads

Not many people are ! More pressure = more friction and heat = gummed/ blocked sandpaper , melted hooks, and longer time sanding

If you can get one for tomorrow Matt buy it and send the receipt to receipts@southlondonmakerspace.org

or @mbg what size plate do we need? 120 or 150mm?

150, but its a proprietary screwfix one
https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-hard-version-sanding-backing-pad-150mm/965hf

ah yeah, there aren’t any stores with it in stock for collection today so I will have to make do with the sander as is and leave to you to order. I need to do my own woodtech indication kinda soon I guess? I’m not at the space that much though so I might be a bit useless.

@Matt_Carter - I can lend you my DeWalt orbital sander this evening if you need it and if course if the wood techs don’t mind…

It takes 125mm discs. I find the purple trend discs from Screwfix are best.

I’ll be in the space between 5pm and 6pm

Hey! that would be great, i might struggle to make 6 though, I’m leaving now but going via Leyland, if your comfortable leaving it in a designated spot that would be amazing, no worries if not though. I’ll probably be there a bit after 6…

Always glad to bring more inductors on.

Don’t forget about the pneumatic sander! I’ve used it on my last few projects. just be careful of minor oil drips

Hey @Matt_Carter - I don’t need it back for a few days so if you still need it, that’s totally fine but if you’re finished with it, shall I grab it today? :+1:t3:

yes all done, thanks very much! I used 4 pads i think , and you are down to 1 120 grit i think so let me know how much you’d like me to send to replace :slight_smile: