Need the laser

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa4a3aa84e0>

Hey folks,

I’ve been a member for about 6 months and I’m never around because I can’t manage to get inducted on anything. To throw this into relief, I have an engineering degree and was a core member of the Machines Room for years who worked onsite. I’m also a professional educator teaching folks physical computing at the graduate level at UAL in a Computing Masters degree I helped to create. If someone can manage to give me an induction, I’m the kind of person who could redo/help with this induction process being so slow and volunteer time. I have thoughts about how we could set up self inductions with videos and have an online quiz people could take, particularly folks like me who are already working professionals in the space. I’m to the point where I am dire and in 2 weeks I have a huge show and desperately need tools. Can anyone induct me/does anyone have time? Getting cutters are UAL at Camberwell has been really challenging because of the student load and limited hours. This new-fangled Insistute UAL started I am part of does not have access to the shop formally. Camberwell has been kind and helpful but I’m just a user they are giving favors to so it’s hard to count on. Also, I work with Tom Lynch, who got the cutter I’m asking you all to be inducted on. He has a new cutter coming this summer for our college, but I need help now. I’ve signed up for 2 inductions that have been canceled in a row. Help me and I can help improve this whole flow. I understand no one is getting paid and everyone is busy but we should look at overhauling this process to be easier. I’m exactly the kind of member that’s useful to have around. :smiley: Empower me and I promise to help if you want to overhaul the educational resources. (Meow!)

Thanks in advance,
Phoenix

1 Like

@lasertechs?

Hi Phoenix!

The cancelled induction definitely was bad luck, though we did reschedule it and you didn’t come to the rescheduled one - I didn’t know another induction got cancelled, obviously that’s really annoying having that happen to you.

There have been two more inductions since then and we’ve been averaging inductions every other week or so, so I don’t think there’s a big problem here generally - we could actually do more inductions, but we seem to be keeping up with demand pretty well currently.

I had offered before to give you a quick “I-already-know-how-to-use-a-laser” induction before when the first induction got cancelled, but I don’t think I communicated that very well - I’m happy to do that though, just let me know when you have some time and we’ll do a quick induction.

I’ve got time this Thursday evening, or on the 27th or 29th. There’s also an induction on Tuesday with only one person on the waitlist if none of those days work.

1 Like

Hi Phoenix,
Robin is inducting next week. I can do the 1st in Feb but havent made the post yet. Will do when I get back from Rome.

This is Pompei tho.

4 Likes

Also @phoenixperry I am happy to support you with using it for a bit once the laser techs have signed you off as I wrote the original laser induction with Tommen.

I am not an active member so would have to be your guest.

Hhhurgh - I’m technically a @lasertech, so I can “induct” you if you wish - although I’ve not been about for quite a while and stuff may have changed, I think we should be able to figure it out.

The main point of the inductions is to avoid people being harmed, or the machine being damaged - and it sounds extremely unlikely in this case!

I’m going to be in the space this evening from about 1830 until 1930 (when I’m getting my own induction from @sabtab on the knitting machine!) if that’s of any use.

(to be clear to anyone else viewing this thread, this is like an emergency induction for someone who already has experience and probably doesn’t need much instruction - don’t want to set any expectations for anyone else - those people should sign up for the next proper induction https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/laser-cutter-induction-tuesday-4th-feb-2020-630pm/15980/6 )

1 Like

Glad you are enjoying Italy , @petra

1 Like