Multi Talented Builder Needed!

So the other day water started dripping out of the downstairs loo lightbulb while the shower was running upstairs.

So I waited for it to stop flowing before cutting a hole in the ceiling to see what’s wrong. A pile of rotten wood came tumbling out of the hole. Best as I can tell, the shower tray was not fitted or tanked properly, relying just on the mastic seal around the edge. Looks like it’s been soaking into the floor and joists for months or years and the floor finally gave way enough to open up a small leak into a big one.

Luckily the affected joist runs the “right way” and doesn’t take much load, but the repair job will mean dismantling a fair bit of shower tray, tiling, floor & floor, removing rotten floor, replacing or splicing the rotten joist, properly tanking around the bottom of the shower, re-tiling, making good etc etc.

Lots of trades, lots of mess, needs to be done right.

Anybody got a recommendation for someone to call?

See it all the time, corners are cut by tradesmen to keep the price down so they are guaranteed to get the job. All it gets them is a bad reputation.

Normally to fix it right, everything that that tradesman has done has to be removed.

Done properly the (new) shower tray should be bedded in a weak cement base, hardiebacker, dukkaboard or similar to be put on the walls.

Shower waterproofing kit to seal all wall joints, screw holes in above, taped and sealed down to shower tray and around inlet pipes for shower.

Tiled with a decent adhesive,( bal or mapei)

New shower enclosure an shower fitted,
Silicone to manufacturers spec (either inside only, outside only or combination of both.

Yep, exactly my thoughts. This was work I paid for ~10 years ago and it wasn’t the lowest bid, but I wasn’t there to supervise >_<