Motion tracking objects

Hi all, I’m looking into motion tracking objects to drive a generation of a view in a 3D modelling software. Think of draging a mini camera over a drawing and a computer screen shows you the model from the correct location. Does anyone have any experience in such wizardry?

Not my area, but I think I’ve seen similar things done with Microsoft/Xbox Kinect…
Sounds like a cool project!

What sort of accuracy/tracking volume are you after?
Budget?

You are from the AEC sector. Think enscape driving a building model on a screen. The direction of the camera is controlled by a small matchbox sized 3D printed camera that is dragged around a A0 printed drawing of a floor plate. The budget can be relatively high, depending on requirements…

So this could be done with the SteamVR motion tracking hardware. You can buy the laser scanning boxes separately, and there’s a standalone tracking “puck” coming soon. Submillimetre accuracy, and you would only need one base station if you’re tracking on a plane. Or you can roll your own sensors. Lots of information here: https://partner.steamgames.com/vrtracking

If you fancy going more techie - then you might want to check out OpenCV too.

I worked with Kinect to track motion and make data available to Arduino. I used this C# library in case you are interested.

Thanks for all the replies. I have looked into the htc tracking gear but am not really clued up on the software/ hardware bit if trying to do it myself.
If anyone is happy to take it on as a proper commission we can talk further about it… ?
Or a collaboration if others are interested…
I think it’s not that complex but I may be clueless… :upside_down_face:

I do have a vive with the lighthouses etc that i would be happy to demo if interested

I can take it on as a commission from mid-October if you are interested - Kinects are pretty cheap btw.

Thanks James, I have the vive already.

Ok Daniel, let’s talk further about it.
When works for you?

Whatsapp most lunchtimes and evenings, face to face evenings week starting Monday 25th?

This is kinda like what I want to do but without the screen in the table…

1 Like

Doable - “mini camera” with gyro and bluetooth relaying orientation, Kinect relaying position, both sets of data being fed to Unity scene. That’s how I would do it.

This is probably turn-key for what you want? https://wearnotch.com/

There’s also a toy that I can’t drag out of my memory that has a base station and box, and was the favourite cheap hack a few years back for 6dof motion tracking of a single object. I’ll post if the epiphany comes.

Please do! Sounds intriguing.

Hello
If I understood correctly, you dont need to track in 3D, since you are moving an object around a piece of flat paper?

I know you said you only want to use a piece of paper and not hardware, but a wacom (or a cheaper alternative) with the paper laid on top would get you pretty far very quickly, how big do you envisage the paper to be?

Between A0 and A3 possibly

ok, screw that approach then, too big.
but how about tracking an rfid tag, or
bluethooth