Mini cnc laptop

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa49ae27c50>

Hi guys,

2 things to report about the mini cnc:

-The Win laptop on the desk doesn’t boot

• the mini cnc spindle doesn’t work anymore. It did all morning but when i used it for a new job after a break, it didn’t power up… any help/ suggestion?
    I can setup the minicnc for the job… But when i press “play” the bit doesn’t spin…
    @cnctechs

I’m in the space if somebody have any advice.

Thanks,
Federico

Oh… Somebody forgot a blu usb plugged in the laptop.

The spindle works… It was only off, i must have bumped into the button while cleaning the machine. All good now.
@cnctechs

The laptop still doesn’t boot.

Thanks,
Federico

“Fixed” the laptop too… It was the blu usb plugged in that prevented it from booting. Once removed it works.

Anybody recognise it? I’ll leave it on the laptop for the owner to pick it up.

Thanks,
Federico

2 Likes

Ah ok! Good work! You fixed it all yourself!

I will make both the CAM laptop and the Mini CNC PC not try to boot off the USB next time I am in!

It’s my usb stick! Sorry it cause trouble! I’ll pick it up soon.

1 Like

@JoSchmaltz
I left it on the laptop so you can pick it up next time.

Federico

1 Like

We really need to avoid using USBs all over the space… problems like this are the least of our worries… did we ever get anywhere w/ the conversation of setting up a local fileserver?

There’s a RasPi all ready to go but it’s stalled with with the network config.

Still waiting on an @systems group to make changes…

1 Like

We did, actually, and the problem is that people sometimes don’t bring a laptop with them, only the USB key

The fix is to disable the boot from usb in the bios

Ya - We’ll do both pretty soon… - fix the pcs so they don’t try to boot off USB and create a way to more easily move files over the network…

3 Likes

Wouldn’t it be more messy if everyone would bring their own laptop in the space… And not everyone may have it to bring in the space.

Can we use an area in the server where the website lives as ftp/repository for files with dedicated access from each account? Possibly with restrictions ( max size or cleaning folder every week etc)

Thanks
Federico

1 Like

Outside access would be a plus for sure but invites security questions that we mostly side step by trusting those on the local network. The raspi is a small step from the shared folders we currently use for laser and CNC. Folks could use any of the machines in the space to add files (that are deleted after a week).

I would also love to send my files from home so that I don’t have to bring my laptop or a USB to work inside, but I agree… that’s the next problem. If we could just have some common drive between the CNC laptop and the laptop that has VCarve, it would make the process SO MUCH more painless (and free from external attacks, and free from USB drive viruses)

1 Like

I often use gdrive or dropbox in a private tab. Not ideal but sidesteps a lot of issues.

Some folks use Dropbox for that

Sidesteps some issues, and creates some more for you, e.g. the USB drive virus installed a keylogger so now your gdrive or dropbox account is compromised :slight_smile:. Tough problems, but seems like we’re making progress.

1 Like

How about we set a general email address always logged in the machines so the members can send a WeTransfer ( maybe with a personal password), then download the files in the space and delete them when finished.

Federico

Getting files INTO the space isn’t a problem… this is my process:

I have my dropbox public pushed into a bit.ly link that I remember. I can safely download files from that onto one machine in the space. But then moving files from one computer to the other requires a flash drive. I am reluctant to use my own, for obvious reasons. I guess I could buy a usb stick that I use ONLY for the space, but that only protects me, not every other member.

There really isn’t any security risk in creating a shared file-server. I mean, presumably someone could purposefully install malware/other unspeakables on it, but at that rate, they could do the same with the other computers in the space. Especially if we crontab some kind of “all files are deleted weekly” functionality… it looks like the safest solution to me.

1 Like