Metalwork extraction

The good news is I finally got some hard facts about the great duct debate, I have demonstrated that 315 mm ducting does not interfere with the fire detection system as per the recommendation of the FIA, and I have also demonstrated that one 315 millimeter duct coupled with the fan we acquired from an urban tomato farmer comfortably meet the 2000 cubic meters per hour specification requested by the metal tecs.

So as soon as Shaun has built the new box for metalworks extraction fan we can install it hopefully before next weekend.

315mm duct set at a height that allows it to pass over the top of the table saw extraction with a five millimeter clearance.

On the plus side I’ve moved on from doing my calculations on the back of a fag packet to doing them on an old piece of scrap wood. I think that’s an improvement maybe one day I’ll graduates do using a spreadsheet :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Great work Joe, and a great result, even on scrap wood.

3 Likes

Such a Joe-thing to say, haha. You’re like the Indiana Jones of Makerspaces.
I dig the hands-on scientific approach.

2 Likes

I have been called most things in my time, but that is a first, but I will take it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

More action.shots

3 Likes

Summary of metal extraction final plan:

• One run of 315mm with big box fan, 2nd fan set aside for metal if needed

• Keep space for a 315mm or equivalent intake straight run from metal room to front of arch 2 (in case there is an issue with woodshop dust from being sucked into metal room due to negative pressure) replace window with 1/2 window (final routing tbd with metal and wood)

• Welding filters to be bought for welding area

• Swapping to use intake at the discretion of metaltechs

• Woodwork to use 315 and nuaire inline fan as wood extraction, going over cnc to middle of woodshop

• Store any extra 315 for later use

• @asander1 to sell the 500 ducting

This is agreed by @directors and @metaltechs and @woodtechs.

4 Likes

I take credit for putting you in the same room. Lol.

6 Likes

Thanks for agreeing this Andy! It really is the best way forward all things considered. With the work that Joe, Sean, @danielbenton, @Dan1 and others have put into this, everything is lined up to have that 315mm extraction duct installed in the next few days.

2 Likes

PXL_20231015_140830374_exported_stabilized_1697387785392

This is how it happened. Haha.

4 Likes

Is Joe picking up a knife?!!

1 Like

Am I smiling?

Done

12 Likes

Very nice, I’ll be in with the acoustic vinyl today ~6

3 Likes

Hooray! Thanks all!

From being bogged down in a wicked problem to a wickedly fast successful completion!

Those outdoor shots of the extraction trunking are putting me in mind of Gerald Bull’s infamous ‘Iraqi Supergun’, (a small part of which was, for a time, on show in Woolwich…).
I guess I’m just odd like that.

(Oh, and it appears to be aimed at the Houses of Parliament…)

So I’ve gone to Sutton to get this acoustic insulation and they’ve decided to close up half an hour early today :skull:

Moral of the story, if you’re going to one of these places after about 4 give them a call first

Won’t be able to leave work early again this week, so we’ll have to get something delivered instead - I’ll have a look when I’m back

1 Like

@Sean where is the place in Sutton? I should be in the area tomorrow and if I manage to finish early I can pick up what you need.

Yes! Thanks @metaltechs and @directors for coming together - and extra thanks to @joeatkin2, @Kyle and @scythian for the installation!

3 Likes

That would be great if you’re able thanks - it’s called SRU insulation, let me know if you reckon you’ll have time and I’ll order to click and collect