Metal people I need your help please

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa4990fb140>

Calling all metal heads, I need a favour pleaseeeee.

I have some 6mm steel rods that need a slot milling in them, do we have the facilities in house to do so? And if so would anyone be able to help me out! I am a complete novice when it comes to metal working.

The dims of the rod is: 6mm diameter x 62mm long

And the slot needs to be: 2.5mm x 26mm in the centre of the rod

Its for a prototype backpack sternum strap system im working on.

Only need it doing on 2 rods, I will repay you with a pint/sewing advice

Thanks!

We may be able to do this. The answers to questions like; How hard is that material? What are the slot dimensions? are important.

When are you next in? I’m hoping to be there from 3:30 onwards today…

2 Likes

Hey Dave,

Im not actually sure how hard the material is. But its A1 steel.

slot dims are: 2.5mm/3mm x 26mm in the centre of the rod

I wont be able to make it in today sadly! However I will be in tomorrow morning - I could leave the rods somewhere safe

1 Like

Ok. A1 steel is stainless, hard and moderately difficult to machine. However there’s a chance we can do this. If you leave the rods there tomorrow I will have a look at them when next in and see what can be done. Fingers crossed we have what’s needed to machine these.

Finally what sort of precision are you looking for / what are they being used for?

Sorry for missing the dimensions in your original post. To confirm, we are looking at a slot 2.5mm wide and 3mm deep?

Fantastic, thanks for this.

Precision isnt super important as its just for testing a proof of concept at this stage - Part of a strap system for a backpack. If successful I will be ordering bespoke machined parts from Accu.

Slot needs to go all the way through the bar- to create a hole in it to allow a strap to be fed through. and the 2.5mm is the required width of the slot, please!

I will let you know where I have left the bars tomorrow.

1 Like

Bored at work so here’s a drawing, NB the 23.5 is the centre to centre of the two end radii, ie how far you’d have to move an end mill to make the slot.

5 Likes

This is awesome, thanks Ed. How satisfying

1 Like