Metal lathe out of service

Stamped into the bed on the right hand side, next to the tailstock

Thats exactly right.
It needs to be levelled, and then everything checked over and put into tolerance before money is spent on it really.

Pull the bearing and take the numbers off of it. Should be a few quid from a online bearing shop.

1 Like

FAAI0188

That shaft runs on bushings, not bearings, if I’m reading the spare parts diagram right:

I think it needs to be pulled tonight and an action plan put in place. If it’s a standard part bearing or bushing, that can be overnighted and it can be fixed on Saturday

It needs pulling and assessing. Make sure that is that part that’s the problem though first.
If it’s a bush it could be more work than that. Higher chance the shaft is damaged and if not the bush would likely need to be reamed once fitted.
I can be around tomorrow morning to lend a hand if you want.
There is more work than just fixing this issue though.

1 Like

I think that, as with most things, as soon as you start fixing parts, the list of parts to fix gets longer and longer.

All

Mark and I did a little investigation into the noise this evening - the lathe itself operates fine, but there is severe play in the lowermost gear that drives the leadscrew/thread cutting device.

This is caused by a worn out bushing, which has in turn caused increased wear to the shaft. Both pictured.

There are no metal particles to speak of, and no damage to the rest of the lathe.

It’s currently draining of oil, which I will replace (along with a gasket) tomorrow morning.

Two options, as I see it:
1: Leave the gear assembly as-is, there will be some knocking noises and tell users not to cut threads.
2: Blanking plug of some kind until new parts arrive.

Opinions?

FYI: we made a gasket end of last year on the laser cutter with sheet of gasket paper from Stockwell motors.

Should have the laser template for it knocking around somewhere.

IF it needs replacing, IF it’s the same bit you’re taking apart.

I was thinking of using race engine gasket material - a small bead around the edge

@metaltechs, could my tag be updated so that I can test the lathe please?

This is not a system based tool control, so it needs to be activated in the space, and only by a @metaltechs I believe

@inmandmk will be able to elucidate

1 Like

Woodtechs key will overide

In true mvp tradition my tool control has rather limited functionality compared to the real solution.

so yes, tokens have to be manually added to the tool control by an inductor using their inductor token, i.e the metal techs

2 Likes

Are any @woodtechs in the area?

How easy would it be for you to make a API request with the current setup?

Not sure as I don’t know anything about the membership system, the microcontroller is an esp32 with wifi… so in principle should be quite dooable.

however, given that the real solution has been rolled out to the laser cutter and I believe the saw table… is it worth doing?

Myself and @naxxfish wrote the membership system so we can show you how.

It would enable us to focus the roll out on other tools. Metal work is likely the last area to work on. If you can easily code up an integration that would be great.

I can tell you how outside of this.

Hi all,

just wondering is the metal lathe working and up and running for inductions?