Metal Lathe Induction/training

It will be on sunday this week all day long. I did posted the induction too! If you show up you will be inducted! Make sure’re you’re following the dress code. And you will learn how to end up a turned piece alive ( yes it is that dangerous)

@metaltechs
I am running 15-20 mins late for the metal lathe induction today. I can’t find the thread to let them know there. Thanks.

Don’t worry I’m late too :sweat_smile::sweat_smile: my cybermen parts refused to work in the morning​:rofl:

1 Like

Ha!

I hope you feel better! I’ll be in the space today 6pm ish!

1 Like

Thank you Gergo. I will be there for the meeting this evening.

Id you can be there around 6 we can finish your induction

@Gergo_Dala, Thanks for a very informative and well run induction. As promised upthread, this is my working mill:
IMG_0305 by Neil Tully, on Flickr

IMG_0304 by Neil Tully, on Flickr

I have a decent selection of clamps and bits, mostly little used as it’s been a glorified drill press for most of its life with me.

And this is the small lathe which needs some TLC to get it running well, though I belive I have most of the bits to get it going.
IMG_0308 by Neil Tully, on Flickr

IMG_0307 by Neil Tully, on Flickr
Both in my workshop in Devon.

I’ve looked up your rose lathe project, very interesting!

4 Likes

Thank you!
That mill looks extremely useful :smiley: You can give the lathe a good scrub with brake cleaner to get rid of that oily dust. I think you can find the number of teeth for the change gears, and knowing the thickness, the diameter, and the size of the keyhole, you can 3d print them from ultimakers nylon filament ( that according to them is fully compatible with their machine)

Blockquote Zyto came complete with a set (2 x 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60 and 65 teeth ) of properly cut changewheels mounted on a twin-slot bracket and able to generate most common English threads; a 63t wheel that would have given an approximate translation to metric screwcutting was an extra 7/6d.
and a forum thread on this matter: https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=140159

It looks like this atm. I mounted the slide and the microscope, now waiting for a huge pile steel plate, bearing blocks and bits to arrive, than I start to make the rocking base for the headstock. it will be supported with a leaf spring from the inner side for rocking, and one from the rear for pumping . to keep that bit simple I’ll use a dog leg mechanism to make it pump from the rocking rosettes.

4 Likes