Metal detector

Could we buy a metal detector for the space?
maybe a hand held security one.

it could be used to check wood for foreign objects?

For reclaimed wood it has obvious benefits.

but ive heard that even wood from trees is worth checking. beleave it or not old trees that were around in the Blitz suffer from lumps of embedded shrapnel.

1 Like

This has been floated before, and is in use in other workshops. @woodtechs what’s your view?

Agreed we need one - especially for the amount of reclaimed wood we have. London is plagued with shrapnel embedded in trees. Some places won’t work London Plane because it often contains metal. Nails for Catherine wheels/bird boxes/washing lines are also a common occurrence in garden trees.

2 Likes

I was chatting with [insert name here] about this possibility and yes it is useful.
I believe that there are models specifically designed for this use, no idea of the cost!
If we get one we need to make clear that is not 100% sure and extra care is always needed

2 Likes

A 2 minutes research on Google tells me that the prices range is between 15£ and 160£…
Of course with various results and sensitivities

depth is important with these tools.

Makes its money back as soon as it saves 1 table saw blade… no brainer IMO

1 Like

Totally disagree… If there is a nail that piece does not go near a blade… period! We can’t trust those detectors

The thingy looks intresting tho, being screwfix we could get it, test it for a day putting nails in scrap wood and if is not good return it…
Does anyone returned something to screwfix? How it works?

they have a money back gaurette no questions asked i think

http://www.screwfix.com/help/returns/

The one I bought didn’t work.

Was going to make one have got the bits somewhere

Andy from Remakery is a good person to ask.

When I said depth is important I meant that these things have varying power.
They tell you the depth they read to.

The cheap ones only read to a few mm and aren’t worth buying.

The one above runs at 5cm for non magnetic and 10cm for magnetic.

But I’m saying something you know already

I have this one

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+woodworking-hand-tools-measuring-metal-detectors-little-wizard-metal-detector-rutlands+24902

Seems to work ok

2 Likes

I dont believe you know what a catherine wheel is… or as i suspect you are actually 65+ but look well for your age…

and yes we do need one, but it must be effective, there is no point spending £50 0n one that will not work

you’re right! we should spend less on one that doesn’t work?:blush:

seriously though, screwfix’s no quibble refund means its not really an issue to trial one. if it dont work, then blah blah.

or have you got something specific in mind?

afraid i don’t have a clue with metal detectors for this purpose, I just know I have bought a number of stud/wire/metal detectors for detecting in walls and have yet to find one that works consistently.

but like you say we can always try the screwfix one and if it is no good, send it back

yeah ive had similar experience with the cheap multi detectors.
not worth the punt imo

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+woodworking-hand-tools-measuring-metal-detectors-little-wizard-metal-detector+24902

2 Likes