Members storage labelling/kiosk

Members storage seems like something that needs sorting out.

Maybe online storage requests linked to a printed label?

2 Likes

Oooooh. If a system needs setting up for this I would be keen to help spec it out/build it.

I work backend tech for a PO Box service so I know a fair bit about storage systems.

1 Like

It’s always been on the list of nice-to-haves. London Hackspace have a great system with a label printer in the space which automatically creates a thread on their mailing list with the storage request. If we could have a similar system, that would be fantastic.

I’d definitely be keen on restarting/leading the conversation on this. Has anyone outlined requirements or is it just a point on a list of nice to haves?

Paging @unknowndomain!

I am currently exploring a membership kiosk for the space to do the photo printing, and RFID tag linking, possibly as a payment station as well, but I’ve not gotten very far.

The label printing is easy enough to do if given the printer. Ideally a ethernet GK420d with appropriate sized labels, and what is meant to go on them.

https://www.thebarcodebusiness.co.uk/product/gk420d-usbethernet-dispenser-gk42-202221-000/

1 Like

I imagine the process to be similar to the below:

1. You touch your RFID tag to a reader

2. This either:

a) Opens a formatted thread in discourse referencing a code, prompting you to go fill in the details.
or
b) Opens a form on your kiosk to fill in various required details - then posts that to Discourse.

1. It then prints out a label with a QR code, your name, and discourse handle. Possibly also storage time + other details if we go for b).

2. Affix label to item

3. The usual storage process then applies

Also, in terms of label printing, we could probably use a cheaper unit than the one you’ve linked.

At a glance the Brother QL-570 is at £50~ and has workable Linux drivers.

This seems like a very good idea, and a solution to the storage demands. Could have other applications too.

1 Like

I’ve used Brother printers before, but I don’t like them because the rolls are held on disposable plastic pieces which cannot be reused, I find that quite wasteful.

Dymo do a similar product that is also quite cheap but doesn’t have the same wastage.

However we can get a better range of label sizes and prices by using the Zebra, which more importantly has ethernet connectivity, and is designed to last, and is cheaper on eBay.

Anyways don’t worry about the tech, that comes later, instead use this thread to focus on the way in which members request storage, the one you’ve proposed doesn’t follow the current process that members need to ask for permission and have it granted before they leave things in the space.

Also we are talking about a system which has no space allocated to it, i.e. when people store stuff where does it go?

1 Like

The USB only model is £80-90 on ebay

1 Like

So I think there are a number of different issues here:

1. Assets
    Marking Makerspace property where practical so people know not to tinker with it, and that it’s ours thus not requiring any further labeling. This could be done with vinyl stickers, small hand tools could be dabbed with a red dot of paint.
    http://www.uktoolcentre.co.uk/Shop/p~54651~Ball-Paint-Marker.html?pid=98450

2. Loans
    Marking other people’s property that has been loaned to us with approval, this could be via a thermal printed label on the item.

3. Storage
    Temporary storage labels that could be thermal printed once the member has sought approval.

There is a system.
You do a storage request and you stick a label on your stuff.

Isn’t this a user issue rather than a technical issue?

2 Likes