Minutes for the Members Meeting
September 2nd 2020, conducted via Zoom at 7:30pm
Tom chairing, Hannah taking notes
The meeting was the first meeting since February 2020 because of the restrictions of COVID-19.
We didn’t record the icebreaker as we didn’t assign anyone to take minutes until afterwards! We talked about who we would like to have a zoom call with, if we could pick anyone in the world.
Tech and “Tool lead” recruitment (@AussieFred)
- We discussed having tool leads
- Is this any different from tech leads?
- For some tools this works well and is helpful - ie the lathetechs
- We discussed Inductions and learning
- Woodshop night was proposed
- We could have buddy’s for those who are less experienced to help with learning or on a specific project
- That would have to be online for now, or wait for when it’s safe to meet up in person
- Videos: we can create some or use some that are already be online
- We need to consider the time and energy it would take to make new videos, will we be able to get them done? Will restrictions interfere?
- Mixed learning options are needed as people learn differently
- We could offer quizzes to test people’s learning
- People with existing experience should be able to start using tools sooner, than others
- They need to prove they can use the tools
- Aim to free up inductors time for the less experienced members to learn
- Safety needs to be considered, how can we ensure safety?
- We could use a nomination system like shutter access
- We could use the quizzes/tests for learning, or ask some questions to check someone’s knowledge
- Will members feel it’s unfair if some people get to ‘jump ahead’ where they have to go through a longer process?
- A buddy system could be useful for both keeping up with and checking existing knowlegde, and could help if there was a nomination system
Making inductions COVID safe (@Dermot )
- Small tools can be taken outside
- Workbench has been built for this
- Important to find ways to fast track those with experience while we are so restricted
- Safety needs to be highest priority
How do we handle covid safety when we need enough eyes in the shop to handle physical safety?
- Need to make sure the process is smooth
- Good for a refresher but maybe not for first time users
- A post will follow on the @lasertechs experience
Suggestion that the glass from the kitchen be used as a safety screen and one person watches the other shows, then they swap?
- Issues with the angle being awkward for some things and not good for all tools
A few people could work at the benches outside to be inducted on hand tools especially
Relaxing the main rules for one to one sessions (with PPE)?
- Not currently possible but changes may come soon.
Trying to record anything or induct while simultaneously holding a screen would be dangerous for some tools - you need hands free to hit the stop button
Outside is safe - with 1+ meter distance, we are happy with a group working outside. This needs to be considered by area.
Arch 2 (Tom)
- Overview of the survey results was given
Enabling practical plans with timelines/action group - (@Beccaartist)
- We want to spread the responsibilities and actions required to get Arch2 up and running across the membership, not just leaving things to the Directors
- Proposal is to set up an action group to turn the questionnaire results into something meaningful for the whole membership
- We want to have some people to lead an action group
- The action group can set out a timeline and have this available for members to follow and take part in the actions
- We can make sure we have some professional input from (as an example) people with construction work experience
- The group can create a project plan to deliver actions
- Can the ‘tech’ role help make this happen? Such as creating an Arch2 tech role?
- Why can’t just anyone be involved? We don’t need people to be ‘techs’
- It could be confusing and create a barrier for members wanting to take part who are not techs
- People who have time to offer are really important for getting things moving; the focus needs to be on action
- The action group, as well as the techs, should all be key in making decisions and getting Arch2 finished.
- We need skilled people, and people with time and enthusiasm
- There will be opportunities for the whole membership to be engaged the whole way through the process
- We also want to make sure the group can make decisions and we don’t deliberate for too long or wait and have things be slowed down
- We want the group to be a trusted group
- We need leadership, but we don’t want control
- Can we have nominations for people involved in the group?
- Do we focus on the planning or on the people who will take the action?
- We can start some action immediately
- Do we want an action group of members to take on the decision making and driving of the Arch2 project? (all visible hands raised)
- How will the action group members be decided?
- Entirely self selecting (4 visible hands raised)
- Roles are posted and people are elected (2 hands raised)
- A little of both (10 - 12 hands raised)
Other Arch 2 updates and next steps
- We can start getting materials and start on initial construction already
- We can have multiple processes going on at once to keep things moving
- Shall we outsource some of the work? I.e. for the clearing up?
Governance Working Group
- We could form a group of interested people to look into the processes and procedures that we have and see if we can move forward on getting them updated (ie grievance procedure)
- Does anyone who was previously involved with working on any governance updates want to take part in finishing the updates or offer their work to take forward?
- We can go back to basics and organise a session where members can take part in refreshing our mission and values which would align nicely with Arch2 expansion
- This work could help when we need to think about roles and structures, and how people can get involved with action and bringing ideas to life
- We need to do less, and do it well and quickly rather than try and tackle a lot of things in great depth and overreach ourselves
- We could work on improving structures
- We want to make that move that we attempted in 2016 to move out of start up mode
New crowdfunding campaign - #Makerdifference_2 - (@Dermot)
Update and call for members to get involved:
MakerDifference 1 was mostly about masks, and also things like air purifiers, and face shields
We reached out to people from the local community to get PPE to vulnerable people
We offered PPE to care homes and key workers
MakerDifference2 is about providing an even more targeted response, particularly in light of the BLM movement and focusing on our local BAME community
How can you ‘maker difference too’?
What can we do for our next campaign?
We want to hear ideas for how we can help, perhaps beyond masks
There are long term impacts and issues related to COVID that we will continue to need a response
- Can we focus on education? People are acting like the virus is gone, but it hasn’t
- What about information posters? ie how to correctly wear a mask, covid symptoms, info on BLM?
- Can we hold workshops in the outdoor area (covid safe)?
- Offering skills
- Teaching sessions
- Focused around projects
- We could pay the facilitator as an incentive to get more interest
- Could we run an anti-racism group? Or a book club?
- With outreach in mind we could:
- Offer a scholarship, for example for young artists,
- Run a competition and have the prize be a makerspace membership
- Focus on getting engagement
- If people commit they need to be able to follow through and not run out of time
- We need some energy and engagement around the campaign, let’s make it fun!
End of meeting notes.