MDF , where to buy?

I need to buy a lot of MDF to make a loft more useful binging some partitions inside it , does anyone know any good reseller around South London?

I never worked with MDF , is there something I should know?

Whitten Timber will help. but if you’re doing partitions, you’ll be much better off using plasterboard and studding.

1 Like

Plasterboard walls, and TNG Flooring presumably is what you meant?

No, the floor is done but everything else is half arsed , I want to close shout the sides , where the hight is not tall enough for anything mostly because the flooring is not there and there is only the insulation, I don’t want to risk to get anything through the bedroom ceiling :stuck_out_tongue:

Plasterboard and studding is what is designed for this sort of application.

Otherwise I’d go OSB over MDF which isn’t very good structurally.

3 Likes

It’s also a hack of a lot easier to work with in this sort of tight space - any board that you can cut with a blunt spoon and a karate chop will save you hours of cursing and anger in a loft

3 Likes

Hahaha. Love it.
I think you and @Esther_Gladstone take different approaches to woodworking…

In a loft you also need to consider ventilation, otherwise you can get condensation/mildew/rot. Moisture will pass through the ceiling into the loft unless it has a vapour barrier, which is unlikely. If not blown out, the humidity can easily rise to 100% in the low temperature and then you will get condensation. There needs to be a through-draught.

There is a decent , professionally made , insulation between the roof and the ceiling , but is good point , I have no windows but I can see the exhausts vents for the bathrooms , maybe I can hook something there…