Making a steam bender

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa4992e9dd0>

Hi Afshin,
I went in on Friday and cut up the piece of ash you got me from Hatfield forest ready for steam bending, I also had a look at the raft while I was there, it’s huge, more than enough insulation there.

I already brought a wall paper stripper from Screwfix, and some pond plastic to line the box. So in terms of making the steam box I think we have all the materials we need.

What size wood are you wanting to steam bend, which will dictate the size of the steam box we need? I’m doing strips about 1.5 x 5 x 80 cm long, so the box won’t need to be huge for my pieces.

Probably the most work is making the jigs to bend the pieces around. I’ve designed one to be cut out on the laser cutter… which I haven’t cut out yet. We’ll also need some sheet galvanized steel to use as compression straps which help stop the wood splitting when you bend it… I have some photos from my course that I can show you so this all makes sense.

I can come down one day next weekend, what day would suit you? I need to negotiate childcare with my partner :wink:

Thanks
Jeremy

Cool! How’s Sunday? I’m pretty flexible on time.

Havent thought about size, will probably see on the day. Good to hear the Hatfield ash being worked on.

I think Sunday should be fine…

Just stumbled across this online, seems quite good, helps explain what I mean by compression straps…

1 Like

Wow! That document just opened up a whole new world of steam bending!

I am definately up for this.

1 Like

Super! Watch this space, we’re aiming to get started Sunday. Time tbc.

just to be sure - you weren’t thinking of running this Inside the space were you :wink:

Courty

Hahaha…nothing like after a long day of making to sit in a Turkish hammam (/spray booth) bending wood using a steam bender…SLMS branded towels anyone?

It would be a good test for your humidity stations

lol, I think they are fine thanks :wink:

New business idea for SLMS, Turkish Bath and Steam bending on one unit ? get healthy while making nice chairs !

Courty

1 Like

Hi Afshin, still okay for tomorrow? What time you want to meet at the space?

Jeremy

Hi sure. Whatever time works for you

I’ve got a 4 year old so I’ll probably be from 6:30am :slight_smile:

How about 10:30am?

I’ll aim for 11am!

Great see you then.

Running a little late be there in 5-10mins…

4 Likes

@afshind I managed to get one of my jugs cut yesterday and assembled today, so might go in for a couple of hours tomorrow afternoon. Probably 1:30 - 2:00ish. Are you free tomorrow afternoon? Interested in having a look/ helping out?

Jigs not jugs…

Lasercut Jig:

1 Like