Makerspace Radio

There’s currently an online radio station, and associated Android app that’s not doing much useful anymore.

There’s 20gb with upto 128kbps and 200 listeners.

We can schedule shows and live broadcast from any Android phone or Windows PC. Apple is possibly an option. I just haven’t got round to trying.

Does anyone think makerspace radio would be useful enough for them to work with me to get it started?

Exclusive content is key to gaining listeners. Quality regular content is key to retaining them.

1 Like

I have supported student radio in the past and think radio is the best way to represent community really

1 Like

So are you willing to lend a hand? It won’t take long. Just good to have someone to bounce ideas around with

Yes I can help, I have had two big changes moving home and moving into my project recording studio in Lee, which has been totally exhasting and won’t be complet until July, but I’m still here!

Appologies for not being around for a month, in usual circumstances I would be available flexibly throuought the week

I have required a ferrograph series 4 british made tape recorder, we could record a podcast on tape for fun, and maybe the machine could be renovated at the electronics night, although it is a high voltage machine that works fine at the moment, would need to have old resistors and capacitors checked and replaced if necessary, I have the service book but would need to be overseen by someone who knows exactly what they are doing!

The machine has several valves in it and I will adopt it into recording chains in the studio sometimes

Cool. Let’s meet up soon then to discuss the ways forward

if you are planning to broadcast in the name of the space, you should probably have a talk with @directors first , there could be some legal implications.

1 Like

I’ll be sure to do so before going live.

Do you think calling it London Creator Space Radio might avoid any such legal implications?

ie. Something not obviously/directly connected to SLMS

No. If you’re doing it from / in / via / in connection with / organised though SLMS, then we have legal responsiblity for it, and whatever / if ever wrongdoings associated with it, whatever you call it.

Fair enough.

Consider this project cancelled then

Thanks @emuboy for flagging this up so we didn’t waste any effort on it

1 Like

not necc. just need to put sensible and documented constraints in space to keep it legal :slight_smile: e.g. not playing licenced music or not broadcasting on radio-frequencies without the the correct licence. If either of the above were happening, then that would be very much verboten.

In any case, if you think its a worthy project, and there is interest in the space to help- put it to the members in the right forum e.g. members meeting, and / or here, as you already have. What we wont do is fund or support a makerspace project without a quora of support from somewhere sensible.

Thanks for the extra info.

• It’s internet radio (streaming?) so no frequencies involved
  • I wouldn’t want to play licensed content so that shouldn’t be an issue
  • There’s no money involved as I’ve been paying $3.20 a month for years anyway

So perhaps it can be discussed a little further on here before deciding either way?