Makerspace Members’ Meeting Mon 2nd October 2017 7:30pm-9:00pm

Yes, a good habit to have anyway.

I’ve just mentioned this in the other thread. It it’s too soon to vote on getting Phase 3 and the CNC sorted when we’ve got no idea of cost and we’ve not checked what else members want.

We are in dangerous of voting for a CNC machine without finding out of members actually really want something else more than that.

We wouldn’t vote on such an important issue at a members’ meeting without fully briefing the wider membership on the benefits and implications.

However, a meeting with a reasonable spread of members will give us an idea if it’s worth pursuing.

1 Like

Air quality in the back two rooms.

1 Like

Draft agenda:

• Review from previous meeting action points
  • Governance Part 2
  • PROPOSAL: Record members meeting decisions in a consistent place
  • PROPOSAL: Three week bin
  • CCTV
  • PROPOSAL: Vacuum cleaner
  • Second space
  • Increase monthly consumables budgets
  • Starting more wood workshop inductions
  • Improving social area
  • More people in @welcome
  • PROPOSAL: CNC in the snug
  • Director election update
  • Air quality of back rooms

Previous meeting action points, prior to these we didn’t clearly label actions to be undertaken in minutes.

August

July

May

I would like us to spend a few minutes discussing ways to improve Discourse — anecdotally members have found aspects of it offputting. Let’s have a frank discussion of how to improve it.

The Makerspace itself is well known for its welcoming vibe. Discourse should be the same. If it isn’t widely perceived that way then we should probably find ways of changing that.

Perhaps we should expand that to whether Discourse is the right tool for the job, and what the job is we want it to do.

Possibly, in future. But I want to keep it to the here and now for tomorrow’s meeting. I.E. we have Discourse, how can it be the best environment. If it turns out that Discourse is the issue we can look at that down the line.

I just want to hear members’ views and experiences.

I can’t see us getting any further than our previous member meeting discussions on discourse.slms.org without some preparation.

It’s more about ‘temperature in the room’.

• Are there specific issues around Discourse that we can easily address?
  • Are members put off Discourse by specific definable aspects?

Not necessarily a huge subject.

Governance Scope

Mea culpa – haven’t staged the outreach / moved the existing proposals on. But there are still three important agenda items to do.

1. Decision Making proposal. This is the one proposal we pushed from last meeting because it deserves some more space, and frankly, is much more fun.
  2. Directors. As we have one director shortly leaving, the director relevant parts of legal structure proposal are being updated and will be presented. Including how we’re going to run the election.
  3. Conflict resolution. This was basically ready to go, and we should ideally vote on it and failing that establish a concrete path for getting it voteable, quickly.

If you are going to attend the meeting, please make sure you have read those two proposals at minimum.

Full list here
https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/governance-2017-introduction/5858
http://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/governance-2017-1of4-legal-structure/6208
http://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/governance-2017-2of4-established-member/6209
http://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/governance-2017-3of4-decision-making/5856
http://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/governance-2017-4of4-conflict-resolution/5857

1 Like

Hello,

Unfortunately, I cannot make the meeting tonight but here is an update on wood materials library.

The samples from SL Hardwoods , about a dozen, arrived Thursday, measuring 15x7.5x1.9 cm.

I’m going to carve out some time to go to Whittens this week or coming weekend. I’ll get us some more samples.

I have Dieter’s spreadsheet, a German supplier/dealer. Any leftover from the list of agreed 49 samples I’ll price up and come back to members. Guess-timate would be under £100 including shipping. About half the price of ordering them from the Assoc. of Wood Collectors in the US.

Going forward needs a volunteer to help laser SL Hardwood and Whittens details on their donated samples…if someone can help me setup and run through the process I’m happy to do the legwork, just been a long time since used the laser.

2 Likes

Discourse is one of the most frustrating user experience ever…but is no one fault…

Best of a bad bunch

Very true.

Can you give a brief outline of the @welcome role? Strictly speaking this doesn’t need to be a members’ meeting point. However raising might find a volunteer or two. Also raises the thought that we could have a ‘situations vacant’ section, as we are also on the hunt for new @metaltechs

2 Likes

Governance Scope, updated

Here is the worked-up proposal for directorships, and how we’re going to elect them. Please read.

https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/governance-2017-5of4-directorships/7631

(Well, you don’t have to read the election procedure if you don’t want to. But the first half, absolutely yes.)

@members a reminder that this is tonight, from 7:30 to 9 pm. Apologies if this wasn’t publicised fully – I can’t see that it was, unfortunately.

Be good to see as many members as possible as this is an excellent way of gauging members’ opinions on a wide range of subjects.

It’s part decision making, part social, part ‘talking club’, part an opportunity to test ideas instantly with a cross-section of the membership, and have your say in an open and friendly environment.

The meetings have the scope to make small scale decisions, set up working parties and appoint members to lead on projects and proposals, and rubber stamp proposals that already have proven viable and with strong member support.

1 Like

Have added agenda to first post. The potential list of topics was gigantic so I had to prune some stuff out. High priority and quickly-resolved items were given priority.

I’ll be as early as I can, pending children’s bedtimes.