Makerspace Logo/Brand

This is a long post for those interested in the design of the Makerspace logo, and why I think it’s time for an update.

Feel free to skip the back history…

History

The Makerspace brand has changed a lot over time along with our name, the foundations of Makerspace are as Brixton Hackspace, who knows perhaps that brand might have looked like this:

When myself and Tom got involved it was known as Brixton Tinkerspace, it’s first semi-official logo was this:

Eventually becoming this:

Before that fateful day when we sat in the the front garden of the Prince Regent, literally a few hundred meters from the home of Makerspace and changed the name before incorporation as South London Makerspace.

Tom redrew the logo:

We realised whilst we were meeting at LCC that the yellow was hard to read on signage we had printed, so we changed the colour to yellow-magenta red and I redrew the logo using the free font Dosis…

The keen eyed might notice a very subtle colour difference colour difference, because we used #ea1d25 as the red to try and match the CMYK (0/100/100/0) colour originally for the web, however eventually that changed to RGB red #ff0000 to get the brightest colour:

The fun thing about this is that the reason for choosing yellow-magenta red is because on cheap laser printers it produces a really vivid red because it uses 100% magenta + yellow, this also makes the colour a lot more solid looking as there are less gaps because of the half tone used by printers to mix colours… So it’s nice that we’re using both colour reproduction systems to get the punchiest colours.

The only other subtle change that has happened is to change of typeface, we formerly used Roboto, but it often wasn’t great for large bodies of text, so the switch to Source Sans Pro has helped with that, it also happens to be a free font that closely matches the type face of the current M icon.

New Branding

The new website has been a long time coming, and when it does launch it will bring a notable change to the look of Makerspace’s brand, something the new poster design has already taken inspiration from.

The colour is off here because this was a CMYK screen grab and the colour doesn’t translate to RGB correctly.

The notable change here is the use of the M icon in the red box as a tab like design.

What have others done?

Arguably the closest brand to ours is Makerversity…

They similarly use red and an M shape all in one colour and have set a trend of other spaces (unintentionally I suspect) using a box type system of design which they use throughout…

Similarly Building Bloqs rebranded…

They reved their brand retaining the B with the box and updated the typeface.

Old design

Alternative use without the B icon

Time for a new logo?

The icon in the red box works where there is clearly something saying South London Makerspace near it, however the old logo that includes our name:

Feels to me quite dated, it doesn’t fit with this maturation of the brand and I think it’s time we changed it.

A simple change would be to simply replace the type, but I can’t help but feel that red is a little over powering with the text behind it myself.

Another option would be to continue using the same typeface as the M (I recently realised, I think it’s Gotham, not DIN), this new mark would is clearer and crisper, it’s a very quick prototype, but it could appear as white on a photo background, or black as it is.

Redrawing the M icon

The purpose of the huge red border round the icon, which has changed in recent years (making the icon smaller and more background) is to deal with social media sites which round off the logo into a circle:

However it actually looks substantially better than it did as a result…

The problem is the icon is quite detailed, I am not one for suggesting we remove the detail, but it has been redrawn repeatedly in the past due to scaling probles…

Favicon:

Discourse:

Also the new membership system…

The problem is the lines aren’t on a square grid, so as you scale down the logo becomes more and more distorted…

It’s only around 75-100 pixels it starts to become clear again, but the slot on the right is still blurry.

What is more the logo isn’t square, but extremely close to it… This isn’t a huge issue, but it has presented problems in the past. it’s 1:1.072 ratio.

On pixel scale that means 100px X 107.229px

I am proposing that we square the logo up and draw it at the smallest possible size to ensure that as it scales up the logo looks good, but it also works with fine detail at small sizes, in a similar way to the redrawn one for the membership system, you’ll note there are more ticks on the ruler in that version because they’ve been snapped to a pixel grid rather than places evenly across…

With a little more work we could square up this logo and combined with the new text have something fresh to move forward with.

What do people think, I know a number of people won’t care, and people always object to design change, it’s become known as the Facebook effect amongst designers…

Feel free to chip in feedback on the sketch logo above, or even do your own.

2 Likes

Redraw logo yes.
I like the Dosis logotype though and don’t think it needs changing

It also turned out to be useful to have a landscape logo as well as the square one. I find the current Docis typeface quite distinctive on a red background. Which is an achievement.

I thought Building Bloqs’s branding a bit generic.

Really interesting post, @unknowndomain, thank you. I think you are succeeding in your quest to differentiate SLMS through design.

I think I too like the existing font - but house much of that is the Facebook Effect? I don’t feel strongly about it though and if you do please go ahead. No logo-gate from me…

Well reasoned arguments for redrawing the logo, though.

I think our / your Makerspace ‘M’ is one of the better bits of design around, period. If we need to align it to a pixel grid, then lets. (Feels funny saying this with the long promised future of high DPI displays finally arriving)

I’m not convinced by the rest. I’m not sure whether it’s execution or idea. I really don’t like the Gotham mock-up (sorry!), but the similar website / poster design does work. I like the ‘M’+Dosis logotype, but it would be a let down for that to get divorced from the brand elsewhere.

There’s more here than posted too, as for instance when I’ve seen poster design PDFs (with the tab design with black tick marks down the page) I’ve thought “Good!” but then seen them printed with the inevitable crop and border and the effect was lost. Similarly, there needs to be a treatment for a full bleed image: the current design only really works for “items in a sea of white”.

I’m having a crack at a pixel grid version as we speak. 40x40 for the M itself seems like a reasonable minimum (the discourse logo is this size). IIRC, the tricky bit is doing ruler ticks that don’t look wonky.

I’d also just like to mention that BXTS was knocked out in 30s cos we needed something for a flyer. It is not a design and I have zero pride in it :smiley:

This is great stuff but as my attempt to do a flyer for the ReOpening party has proven, we are approaching this in our normal chaotic way - lots of opinion and ideas but no source of the truth.

What we need for this is a Brand Manual (all good marketing depts have one), stay with me here, its not as bad as it sounds…

This should consist of two things primarily, the description of the brand including info like colours and fonts (as Toms post above) and a proper library of templates and assets to set standards and stored in a central accessible place.

• Templates in an editable or vector format (not PDF) clearly named for use
  • Assets (pictures, maps, diagrams, logo’s) in a high quality editable format (again, not PDF)
  • Fonts in raw TTF or vector formats
  • Other assets like short bios, history, descriptions, tag lines for reuse, in an editable format…

A good example of why this is important being the map, the only ver I could get was from an old flyer and, because of the way it was saved as a low quality PDF, when I cut it out it was fuzzy.
I also opened the old PDF and identified the Font used as being the google font ‘Roboto’ which I copied, this is also not correct apparently.

This is definitely one of those things were we can make our own luck and save Lots of time and effort.

Happy to take the lead / assist here but the number one thing is to get the assets we have onto the system somewhere they can be used and that is accessible. I’m hoping there is a place or can someone create one ?

Courty

2 Likes

What program were you using? Inkscape and Illustrator both open the flyer PDF as vectors.

100% agree to all your points though. Some templates and guidelines will mean anyone can make a poster/flyer etc. that will fit in with the rest of our stuff

So yeah 40 is an inconvenient number to divide equally
(note a combination of resizings between source and discourse makes the ticks look unequal. they’re not!)

Can’t really go any smaller than 24px for the M without losing the ruler ticks

Tried in Publisher, Photoshop and Inkscape - tried to ungrouping everything in Inkscape but the map comes to bits as does the logo.

Not a huge problem but would be a lot easier with the original assets

Courty

I think that this is exactly what Ana does as dayjob! Worthed ask her… @Ana_Nieto

Could someone tell me why this pixel grid aligned illustrator file

logo pixelgrid.ai (164.0 KB)

is outputting a blurry PNG?

All major anchor points are on the grid and the ruler ticks are whole pixels.

(Probably my ancient CS2 tbf :smiley: )

Save for web then choose artwork. Should be fine. Also the image might be pixel perfect but they might be off set from 0,0. It might be 0.1,0.1 pixels so although they are whole pixels they are over the boundary.

Any ways. I’ll have a look in a bit.

Antialiasing ? Don’t know if you can switch it off in illustrator as its quite rubbish for raster stuff, you may be better off using photoshop and the pencil tool (shift-B) on a 24x24 pixel canvas

Master version needs to be vectors for print (and laser, and 3d printing etc.)

Illustrator does good raster when fine detail is aligned to the pixel grid, there is a checkbox to force it to do it.

The issue was that it was sitting across pixels as suggested, looks much better at small resolutions now, although I think that the slot on the right is a bit wide, and the diagonal cut is too narrow…

(215.9 KB)

1 Like

Interesting comparison of AntiA and non-AntiA in Photoshop using import - top one is non-antialias

Courty

When you’re aligning to pixels, it’s hard to get nice proportions. The slot either comes out too wide or too narrow. The cut can be messed with as you like though.

You always want anti-aliasing but it’s the various algorithms…

Illustrator isn’t very good at doing it if you have a pixel fraction, because illustrator isn’t natively pixel based it does make a mess unless you know how to beat it into shape…

I suspect the slot could be fixed by making the legs wider slightly.

Even if we retain the red background which I am not bothered either way by, I think we should strongly consider loosing Dosis because:

The type doesn’t do well at small sizes on screen is okay, but not great…

However in print it really doesn’t work small, and it’s hard to laser cut as me and Dermot found out when we were talking about the sign and eventually we turned all the signs landscape so it was okay, but before we were looking at 5mm letter widths.

The other big things I have against Dosis, not the red box, is that it looks dated like some kind of crappy Science Fiction typeface, but also it’s in all capitals.

This doesn’t work so well…

In fact nothing in mixed case, white on red looks that great actually.

This lead me to consider…

I am not hugely excited by this either but it’s just a mash up of ideas…

I am just working through some ideas, the typeface Gotham could be replaced, but it is nice that it matches the M in my view, and it’s also nice that it’s similar to Source Sans Pro…

This is with South London scaled to the size of Makerspace to make it more box shaped. Awful in my opinion.

This is using Source Sans Pro.

This is the redrawing icon that Tom did with the old type, and slightly squared up, it’s wider than before, obviously, and when I was uploading I had to scale the image down and this is what happened…

This is exactly the problem with Dosis, Light especially.