Makerspace hits 340 members!

Ah…I thought you were looking on our behalf?

It would only be for me at the moment and I’d edit anything that I use elsewhere.

It’s mainly for a 2nd SLM to cope with the overflow since the membership cap.

1 Like

Excellent, that’s what I thought!

1 Like

Yeah different perspectives, I feel that it should be an open book of accounts with names of individuals redacted so that people can look at it and challenge spending, but I also know how much of a pain in the ass that would be for you guys.

1 Like

Agreed

So this is what we’ve traditionally done, though I forgot at the last couple of meetings

https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/makerspace-accounts-summary-for-members-meeting-1st-october-till-4th-dec-2017/8315?u=dermot

If a member wants to drill down further I’d always be willing to show them detailed a breakdown – so far no one has asked, and this feels a clear way of presenting the figures

1 Like

Another plus for in or around Croydon is several volunteer-run community gardens and maker-type projects (up-cycling, wood recycling, mushroom growing, etc) who I’m sure would be very supportive and helpful.

To me the published accounts seem pretty reasonable, though possibly breaking it down a little more would be useful (calling out expenses against larger projects, for example).

What would be super nice (but by no means necessary) is something not dissimilar to the LHS’s “Cost of Hacking” chart to show the top level breakdown showing how my own contribution (i.e. membership fee) is being spent. Somewhat like the HMRC “where do my taxes go” information they give out these days.

1 Like

A pie chart, for example?

Yum! Yeah, that kind of thing. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ll do that for next meeting, seems like a good way for people to get a handle on the figures

Does that include total spend on:
Electronic parts, wood shop consumables, 3d printer, laser cutter, screen printing, kitchen, software licenses, subscriptions, lease, insurance, taxes, utilities (electric, water, internet, tv, phone, etc), etc

I’m generally interested but mainly for SLM2

https://london.hackspace.org.uk/cost-of-hacking/

1 Like

Something similar for SLM would be a great start

Ours is already more detailed than LHS

Bur I’ll do some graphical representations for it next time

2 Likes

LMS2 is the most exciting thing I have heard since hearing about SLMS !
I may have 3 members for ya. 2 of us willing to help set it up !

1 Like

Me 3 or 4
Got plenty of tools, etc

With all due respect, the issue isn’t availability of tools or members, it’s affordable space.

LHS had thousands of members and plenty of tools but is currently mothballed due to a lack of anywhere to go.

Step 1 - find a location.

2 Likes

Absolutely this!

If you find a location you think is suitable please let us know

They have found new premises actually :slight_smile:
Although the rent is slightly lower, the space is smaller, further out of town, and will probably be redeveloped in ~2 years time.