Make:Shift:Do 2017, let's do something?

Got this from Zoe at Crafts Council:

Make:Shift:Do: Friday 27 and Saturday 28 October 2017

Dear all,

I’m delighted to announce that applications for Make:Shift:Do are now open! Further to my email below, you can now view the full application details and apply to host an event here.

Bursaries are available to help makerspaces, fab labs, science centres, galleries and other venues offer free workshops and open days to introduce families and young people to cutting-edge approaches to making, changing perceptions of the meaning of ‘craft’ and revealing its real world potential. As part of the festival we can offer support for Open Days (£100), Workshops (£300), or Partnership Workshops (£400). All events must be free to attend.

Before you make an application please review our guidance notes on this year’s programme. If you have any questions about the application process or foresee any issues with the application timeline, please get in touch. I am happy to answer questions, discuss your ideas for this year’s events, or put you n touch with potential partners.

Please feel free to share this information with other potential Make:Shift:Do-ers! Applications close on Monday 21st August at noon.

Best wishes,

Zoe

I’m sure we can brew up something for this?

Application details: http://www.craftscouncil.org.uk/opportunities/makeshiftdo-2017-host-an-event-or-workshop

Guidance notes: http://www.craftscouncil.org.uk/opportunities/makeshiftdo-2017-host-an-event-or-workshop

Note: this is copy and paste stuff from me, haven’t read through the links, will do tomorrow…

3 Likes

Applications close tomorrow.

There’s funding for workshops, events and open days. Still time if members want to propose anything, but at this late stage I’m thinking that we should simply hold an open day on the Saturday. We can have members doing demos, a bit of hands on making…it would be an extended open evening with in essence, or a tiny Maker Faire, whatever we can muster.

Sounds like a plan.

Arduino workshop proposal in. I’ll let you know if I hear anything back. Also, if it gets approved but any members feel let down in any way, I’ll be ok with withdrawing the proposal.

Can you send a copy of proposal? So we can integrate.

No “print proposal” option on CC website. :frowning:
Basically whole day with 4 2-hour workshops with budget for free kit and refreshments.

On Saturday 28th? How many participants for each? I.E. how much space needed? The main tables in Clean?
And from/till what time? If we have an open day we can frame it around same times.

Yes Saturday 28th. 7 per workshop around main tables in clean. Will need projector, from 9-5. Should be ok with other things happening I’d imagine.

1 Like

Excellent. What age range is your workshop suitable for?

I put down 10 - 90

1 Like

So, for the record we’ve put ourselves down for:

An extended open workshop family day

A day of Arduino workshops.

Both coexisting on the Saturday

Got feedback - suggestions for promoting welcome!

Good morning Daniel,

Thank you for your venue application for Make:Shift:Do, the workshop you have planned looks brilliant.

As the festival is aimed primarily at families and young people, please could you clarify how you would promote and tailor this workshop to those audiences? We can see that you have picked an age range, 10-90 which is great, but any other ways you could think of to attract these audiences would be fab. There’s a definite Inspector Gadget/Wallace and Gromit quality of using the Arduino to feed pets at regular intervals, are there any other examples of ways kids and families could use Arduino to make their lives easier/more fun?

Best wishes,

Rosie Mitchell (Zoe cc’ed)
Learning Coordinator

I’ll share what I put about promotion when I get home.

Pet feeder sounds great… Though there’s a famous IoT disaster story in that ‘space’.

I’ll share any feedback I get too.