LoRaWan IOT Gateway

LoRa is the latest buzz in the world of ‘connected devices’. Its a mini cell network that is being privately and commercially constructed to allow small low power devices to be deployed and send small secure data packets back to base over a public network. This is potentially huge news for the Internet of Things (IOT) and for cheap consumer electronic devices.

The technology is at the point where it is no longer theoretical but is being deployed and trailed in the real world, there are kits and boards available to the experimenter and the Chinese manufacturers are just starting jumping on board

One of the pre-requsites for this technology to take off for hobbyists like us is for people to set up public gateways and to experiment with LoRa.

I personally have ordered some bits and intend to migrate my WiFi weather stations and Enviro monitors over to LoRa but I wondered if there was interest in tinkering with LoRa for the Thursday Night club ?

I had one conversation last night about setting up a cheap single channel gateway to start with and maybe going bigger multichannel later (the difference between ~£50 and >£300), does this sound like a good subject for SLMS Thurdays ?

If anyone is interested in more reading, have a look at this link

Let me know your thoughts but it does sound good to be in at the ground floor on this stuff.

Courty

3 Likes

+1 - I can make Thursday 28th and onwards

1 Like

sounds fun

1 Like

I’m in!

1 Like