Looking for help on some storage bin signs

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa495dfc370>

I’ve got a set of strage bins I use for my girl’s clothes that can’t be hung up. Problem is I’m just using sticky labels to mark them, and it looks ratty, and they get worn off over time.

I’ve been inducted on the laser cutter, and I’m thinking I can use it to make some nice labels on it. I’ve got a few
a few questions before I start.

I think Inkscape is the best for this. Make basic shape, add the label text, then maybe trace an image to make it look nice. Is inkscape the best for this? I asked at the induction, and apparently next to anything goes, so long as it makes a valid svg, but coming form a complete newbie perspective, what’s best for learning? In the future, I’m hoping to make more complex structures with mechancial compnents, is it best to jump right into something like Fusion360, even though it’s likley way overkill for this project, so so I’ve got something to learn on.

Once I’ve got the signs cut, how best to attach them? I was thiking of adding some holes to the template, then drilling through the bins (they are fairly cheap ikea ones, so not too worries) and using a small nut+bolt. Would be more secure, but it will catch on clothes inside. Is there a better way? would there a glue that’s strong enough? Are there tapping tools in the space to put a tiny countersunk screw from inside so it’s flush both sides? The plastic on the bins is too thin for tapping, but it should be possible on laser cut wood right?

Hi Niall! Looking on Ikea’s site, the Trofast drawers are 100% Polypropylene plastic, so if you’re thinking about using glue I’d bear that in mind! A quick google will help guide you, I found this reddit thread where it seems that the consensus is that it’s not the easiest material. My first thought for this is that if you were able to glue some velcro to it, then you could have the labels be interchangeable in the future, i.e. if you switch drawers about, or change their contents. (And you wouldn’t have to worry about having holes line up perfectly if you were to do some drilling).

R.e. software, I use Illustrator for my stuff personally, but from what I understand Inkscape should be a good alternative, especially for this kind of thing.

2 Likes

That’s for the advice. Great shout on the velcro, I’d never have thought about that, and I think there may be a roll of it lying around the house someplace. I’m going to try that first, and I’ll only drill if I have issues getting them to stick. Being able to move them around as the kids grow, and storage needs change would be ace.

1 Like

Check out laser materials here:

If there is something suitable, Martyn will be making an order in a couple of weeks and if you request he adds that, it would save the delivery cost.

I’d use double sided tape rather than adhesive etc. simple to remove and residue can be cleaned off with isopropyl alcohol.

1 Like

Oh they look nice! I was thinking just plain wood as it’ll contrast nicely with the pink and red shelves. But there are some nice combos there that gives me more options. Going to download inkscape, see what I can come up with and try get some prototypes cut as soon as there is a free slot on the laser cutter, at at time I can actually make it in (I’m severely limited on time due to work, childcare, and my midwife partner means interesting shift patterns, getting me to be free, the laser to be free, and the space open to align is almost an impossible task, that can’t be planned for, as the calendar only shows a day or 2 in advance)

I’ve yet to find the velcro I had, but it’s around someplace. I did find some double-sided tape I impulse bought form asda that claims to be super strong, but I’ve yet to verify that claim. If both options fail, I think the best thing to do is put an internal rail to screw things to. It’s less likley to catch than just a raw bolt, and if I cut a few grooves in it, does double duty as an internal divider holder.

Once you know when, reach out and we’ll do what we can. I’ll be coming down to do some laser engraving once the next shipment arrives. I may be able to do that on a day and at a time that works for you, and could book you in on the laser at the same time. I’ve not used that material either, so could also learn from what you do. If not others here may be able to help out.

If you clean the surface first with isopropyl alcohol, double sided should be enough.

1 Like

Thank you both. I’ve not found the Velcro, but I have found tons of command strips, which are essentially branded Velcro, and some double sided gorilla tape, which claims it can hold 6kg. There’s also a spare bin we usually use to collect all the things that end up in the wrong place. I’ll try bring it along, cut some shapes out of any scraps that are around, and test to see what holds best.

FINALLY got a chance to sit down with Inkscape and put something together I’m sort of happy with for my first sign:

niamhvest_cut

I think it’s sort of along the lines of what I wanted, but far from perfect - I’ve never really done anything like this, I just shamelessly ripped the keyring tutorial from here, pasted in some free images of a vest and a unicorn and bashed my head on path tools till something looked kind of all right.

It’s not fantastic, - The ‘vests’ part could do with more emphasising, as that’s the bit I’m going to be looking at while blurry eyed putting away the 3rd washing load of the day. But it’s good enough to try get it cut out the next time I get a chance, and test how well it can stick, and how it looks on the box. IF all goes well, I’ll make the others.

Any feed back welcome, as anything outside of basic PHP is far outside my comfort zone.

Also any tips on how long I should book on the cutter for this. The induction pice cut WAY faster than I was expecting, but that was smaller, and I had someone holding my hand the whole way.

2 Likes