Lexmark laser printer honesty box

I just printed a page, and I want to donate some change. Is there a dedicated honesty box? If not I’ll just stick some in the laser cutter one

There is a big red plastic M opposite the printer on a black stand like piece of furniture.

Printing the odd page doesn’t need any donation.

That’s what it’s there for!

Ah, the M is functional! Thanks

It is just one page, but there’s quite a lot of colour on it. I’m happy to throw some change in

Ideally don’t use the laser one for random donations - I’ll get really confused when we tally up the money otherwise if there’s more money in there than materials consumed.

Sorry I’m confused how do we make a donation. Untill I realised the M had a stack of cash on I didnt realise it was for donating and had been putting change in the green bin marked donations. Neither looked like they had been checked for some time.

I put donations in to cover my print use, laser cutting use and in the past craft workshop donations. Is there an official system?

The printer is free to use, there is no need to pay.

@StudioNelle shall we get rid of both and have a proper wooden box like @naxxfish did for the laser shop, just bigger?

1 Like

The red M is fine for now.

Different areas will likely get their own boxes over time: electronics components seems an obvious one?

Meanwhile no one should worry about printing the odd page or two – just be sensible and fair with a shared resource. We can stick a guide price for larger quantity printing or printing in relation to paid work in the Wiki page.

Sorry I mean’t as a general purpose box for the space to replace that grotty plant pot.

The red M is nice but other members complained it’s hard to get cash in and out. It’s also not very secure.

Ah sorry, I don’t think I was clear! All I meant was that the box on the laser materials rack with “Laser Materials” etched on it is only for laser materials - reason being I’m trying to keep track of how much sheet material is being used and whether we’re recouping the correct amount of money for those. If donations for other things end up in that box it becomes a bit difficult to keep track.

I’m not quite across all of the other means of donating, sorry to confuse!

1 Like

I don’t mind. I sometimes print 10-20 pages I think I should pay for that.

1 Like

After some discussion with some of the silkscreen techs, we were wondering what the likelihood of trading our current printer for a printer/scanner/copier? Pretty essential for screenprinting, and I’m sure it would be really useful for other areas in the space. I don’t know the area that well but I’ve been caught a few times when I’ve needed to copy a print for screen printing.

Cibele would look like to donate her’s we would just need to buy the ink. It could go under the TV. Would there be any objections?

Bare with me on this one, read to the end:

I feel that you’ve kind of set your proposal up to fall by it’s own sword a little, the printers are not comparable, the laser is good for the majority of cases, possibly even necessary for PCB etching, but you want a printer that works for screen printing purposes.

Why not just have both, the cost per page of inkjet is much higher than laser, plus the quality from the laser is better for some applications.

• I support you guys getting Cibele’s printer.
    But it should go in the printer area where the iMac is the social area is getting way too cluttered with gadgets.

• I don’t support getting rid of a perfectly good laser printer, which is cheap to run, and Makerspace bought after careful consideration of what we needed it for.

Three printers for different purposes is reasonable:

• Laser for documents
  • Inkjet for screen printing transparencies
  • Banner for large format printing
1 Like

Sure, I hear your point. Its not the clearest proposal.

I heared in your response bring on a copier/scanner. Room for all 3?

1 Like

Yes there’s room and reason for all three I think.

1 Like