Laser volunteer call out for our wood library

Hi,

I’ve got the donated pieces of wood for our wood library!! I need the help of a @lasers volunteer! Work can be done remotely and its the kind of thing that if you know your thing wont take that long. I’m happy to sitin the space while its lasered. You may not even need to come in! We could do it email/PM.

We need to laser the donated companies details (name, address, website) and the wood name on each piece.

We have two batches…those from SL Hardwoods are all the same size.

Those from Whittens are almost all the same size.

Background thread to wood library is here.

https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/wood-collection-library/6641

Hi Afshin,
So you need somebody to set up some digital files for the laser cutter to engrave into the pieces of wood. I could set up some files for you. When were you looking at doing this?

Thanks
Jeremy

I have a whole free day next week I can actually be in the space. Tuesday or Wednesday…Likely I’ll be in both days. I can bring my lappy in that’s got all the required software installed.

Also I opened an account with Trotec to buy materials direct so they’ve emailed me the latest brochure and posted me some samples.

1 Like

Hi @Jeremy_Clark @alanmakestuff Thanks for stepping forward! How’s your lasering experience? Mine is none.

Yes, it’s to engrave the name of each wood along with either:

Kindly donated to SLMS by www.slhardwoods.co.uk, 020 8683 0292
or
Kindly donated to SLMS by www.whittentimber.co.uk, 020 7732 3804

Font size…I guess as small as possible while still being legible.

I can be in the space Wednesday, what time suits? I have to finish 6pm as arranged to do some turning with beth, but free beforehand.

How does that sound?

I’d rather we spaced the phone numbers properly… 020 8683 0292 and 020 7732 3804

Done!

My inner pedant is happy now

1 Like

Yeah my laser experience is the induction only. But I will manage just fine.

Alan

Love and Light,

Alan

Cool. I’m aiming to be there from lunchtime, see you there! Thanks for helping. I’ll be in the woodshop

Okay I’ll see you tomorrow at lunchtime.

Love and Light,

Alan

I mean Wednesday

Love and Light,

Alan

Hi Afshin,
I’m working today, so wont be free until 7ish, do you still think you’ll be at Makerspace / still be needing some help that late?

Are you planning on setting up the files and engraving today? I’m a graphic designer so could set up the files for you, but I might be too late to help if you’re going to be there from lunchtime… Let me know if I can still help in some way.

Thanks
Jeremy

Hi,

Just waiting for a full system scan to finish on my laptop then I’m heading to slms.

HI Alan, no rush, I’m runnign late myself, aiming to b there 3ish.

Jeremy, graphic design skills are very handy, lets seek what Alan and I can do this afternoon but may well take up your offer in time. I have a fair bit of turning to do on the lathe so I’ll be around all day and into the evening.

Hi Afshin,
Sorry I was hoping to make it down to the space after work tonight to meet you and see how I can help, but unfortunately my partner has had to work late, so I’ve had to stay home to look after our 3 year old.

Let me know how you’ve got on this afternoon and if I can be of help going forward… I am away this weekend though.

Thanks
Jeremy

No problem. Alan did a great job, the template files are on the laser PC. Over the next week or two I’ll order another 25 or so samples from Germany, once they arrive, if you’re up for it, between the three of us we could laser etch them in batches.

1 Like

Okay, keep me in the loop and hopefully I can help you with the next batch when it arrives.

Thanks
Jeremy

1 Like