Laser users/prospective users - training needs analysis

Hi all

I am starting to plan laser training (as opposed to inductions).
I am looking for feedback from both users and people who would like to use the laser.

What specific skills are you lacking that stop you from using the laser at all, or as effectively as you wish?

What training format would suit you best - Teams call / at the Space, how many hours at a time, evenings or weekends?

My early draft outline for the Laser Learning Series:

Level 1: Introduction

Goal: Get started!

• Induction - experienced users who just need access to the laser
  • Induction + Introduction to Laser - those that want an intro to laser cutting (this is the current induction)
  • Induction + Introduction to Laser + first project (i.e. includes making a key fob)

Level 2: Laser proficiency

Goal: Use the laser well using pre-existing designs without modification

• Ruby
  • Design and project resource libraries
  • Material mastery - cut and engrave techniques, specific properties, laser settings for ply, acrylic, paper/card, leather etc

Level 3: Basic design

Goal: Modify pre-existing designs and create new ones

Level 4: Design for assembly

Goal: create custom designs that can be assembled

• 3D parametric design using CAD - FreeCAD, OnShape, Fusion360 etc

Additional modules

Goal: Specific techniques

• Rotary engraving
  • Stamp making
  • Marking metal
  • Using different lenses
4 Likes

Hi,

Existing user here. Having done the great induction (thanks!) it’s the tool I have used the most and as a result have finally got the workflow down to the point where I can achieve my goals without getting stuck forgetting steps/mistakes.

As such I feel ready to go to the ‘next level’ which for me would be 2 things:

1. knowing how to create my own settings. As it is, I just use others by searching the material settings for previous users’. This works pretty well most of the time but there are definitely times when I would love to be able to tweak it to do something particular, or just to ensure it’s actually going to cut all the way through first time.

2. Exploring/better understanding best practice with different materials. As it is, I have only cut plywood. I’m sure I could have a go at something else but I have a mental barrier having not done it or seen it being done where I think I am going to mess up the material or the machine… probably I just need to get over that but I think it would help me to see someone using different materials and understanding the different approaches, potential uses through case studies etc.

Oh, and while I’m at it, as a bonus, a session on ‘post cut’ best practices (quickest way to get rid of burnt edges etc. Would be great!)

I think these are connected in the sense they are steps towards ‘mastery’ of the tool. Properly understanding how to set it, regardless of material choice, so I can take full advantage of it and achieve whatever ideas I have.

In terms of format, for me the materials part would need to be in the space, observing someone else, and having a go under supervision.

The settings bit I think could perhaps be done remotely? Ideally a teams session rather than a video so I can ask questions as I go. At least to begin with. The barrier is quite technical, and we can access ruby remotely so I think that could be worth a go if it’s easier to run in that way. I can imagine in the end you would need to experiment with actual cuts to get these right, but I can do that in my own time, to begin with I just need to better understand the interface and and that’s something I can do at home.

For me evenings are best but that’s just my life.

I hope that helps, even if it’s just my selfish needs! I don’t see very many others using the laser (I’m normally in and out) so can’t speak to more general ones.

Thank you!

3 Likes

For me the biggest barrier is finding the time to initially learn a software tool and then figure out how make my idea a reality.

Before I joined the Makerspace I had access to a laser cutter and learned openscad (on someone’s recommendation). I think it has a fairly steep learning curve.

When I joined SLMS I wanted to make a greeting Card with the laser cutter and spent (probably days) learning illustrator (thanks to @Ryanf for saving me at the end). I now want to make some drawer inserts and boxes.py doesn’t quite do what I want.

I’ve looked at OnShape (which I started learning for 3D printing). It seems to have a laser cutting box plugins. I’ve also downloaded Fusion 360 but to be honest I’m now reluctant to spend a not inconsiderable amount of time learning a new tool.

I guess this is a long way of saying it would be great if there was a free/cheap tool that, if I learned it, would stand me in good stead for 3d printing and laser cutting (cnc would also be a bonus).

I’m not sure if that’s what you were looking for @Brendon_Hatcher

Cutting leather/materials

• serrated edge
  • holding materials flat (vacuum bed or tacky cutting material)

Matt, have a look at this mat: https://www.908ltd.co.uk/shop/work-holding-products-and-tapes/seklema-multi-mat

Trotec sell a vacuum bed for the laser, but I can’t find a price: https://www.troteclaser.com/en-gb/laser-machines/laser-accessories/multifunctional-table-concept

I started using OnShape just because of the laser plugins. I’ll write up a post about what I’ve done and learned from the experience once I have a chance to finish the next iteration or so.

For me it’d be helpful to learn about troubleshooting various material issues (like warped plywood) and how to dial in the settings better.

1 Like

I feel that for vector graphic / CAD software the learning curve can be pretty steep, and that perhaps this is a limiting factor for some people. I’ve got a reasonably solid understanding of the basics of illustrator and SketchUp so would be very happy to do some workshops. However I do appreciate that:

• illustrator isn’t free so many won’t have access
  • sketch up not the best / most powerful (did find a useful plugin for converting .stl -> .skp yesterday though!)
  • there will be lots of people who have a more advanced understanding than me who might be more appropriate as teachers

As for the first two points, perhaps it is more the concepts that are important however? I imagine translating skills to other software will be about getting used to a new GUI

1 Like

I have updated my first post above with a draft of the learning journey/proposed courses.
Please let me know what you think…

1 Like