Laser question: Engraving acrylic paint over Linen and Cotton

Hi @lasertechs ,

I am conceiving a project that would involve lasering acrylic paint off natural materials like organic cotton and linen. Googling and review of the Trotec site seems to indicate that these are all laser-suitable materials. On the trotec site they even sell Daler-Rowney system3 acrylic paints, which are commonly available:

https://shop.troteclaser.com/s/product/system-3-acrylic-paint-yellow-59ml/01t4I00004kImApQAK?language=en_IE

The sort of textiles I’m looking at this:

Any objections or concerns before I start experimenting? Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

Have a go - As long as you are careful and watch it like a hawk - be mindful of dust/gunk build up - take lots of breaks to check to nossle and lense.

Let us know how you get on :slight_smile:

Wicked, will do so. Cheers Martyn!

That sounds really cool. How do you only laser the acrylic paint off the linen, without also cutting through the linen? The only guidance I can find is for using that paint to fill areas that have been embossed, but this sounds really interesting - would love to see how you get on!

Great to know that this is possible. Might then be able to use acrylic paint layers on acrylic or ply like a home made gravoply or laser laminate. Could possibly have multiple colours revealed by different engraving strength settings. Getting fabric to lie flat enough for engraving off a paint layer may be a tough challenge though.

If your test on fabrics doesn’t work out, there’s also sublimation printing which could perhaps be a possible alternative.