Laser offline - Please do not use

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa4a11b1be0>

I came in this morning to try work out how to use job control seeing as Ruby is currently offline, and sadly found the laser in quite a state.

The lens was filthy, coated in a thick layer of residue (which I can only assume was caused by extensive flaming). I spent 45 minutes cleaning it via repeated baths in lens cleaning solution and wiping clean, however during that process I noticed the lens housing is also damaged to the point the lens is not sitting flat in the housing, thus no way of guaranteeing the lens is in focus. This damage has been caused by over tightening of the collar causing it to crack. Theres been attempted repair jobs in the past using glue that is no longer holding and the excess glue has got inside the bed of the housing which again means the lens cant sit completely flat.

As far as we are concerned the lens + housing needs replacing. So until Ruby + Lens are fixed/replaced I don’t think its wise for the laser to be used until Martyn can get down on Monday and assess the situation, We have left a sign on the laser saying so.

The inside of the lens collar was also coated in a sticky, black residue. Again, which can only be caused by extensive flaming. But to the degree it was coated was completely unacceptable.

Before:

After:

We all need to respect the laser, it is a very valuable, high precision piece of equipment that is very sensitive to issues like this, and can cause big issues, not to mention starting a fire.

If you are operating the laser and see flames even for a millisecond, STOP the job IMMEDIATELY. You can do this by clicking stop (I always leave the cursor on the stop button for rapid stopping, the computer will still respond even when the screen is asleep), simply opening the laser causing the interlock to open and stopping the beam firing. Yes its frustrating losing your cut but this is becoming a constant issue.

Never cut non-laser grade materials on the laser. For example normal general use plywood. If you are unsure about if a material is laser friendly, stop and ask a tech, and check online, never just hope for the best, please.

Sorry to be all doom and gloom but situations like this need to be clearly communicated. I am always available to help with any laser questions, including how I setup my cut files for the most efficient cutting experience, and general use of the machine in a safe and precise manner. (Ive been a laser operator for years now) As are the laser techs, Martyn and Brendon (I am in the process of becoming the third tech :slight_smile: )

Thanks everyone, Again I am not trying to accuse or start any issues, we all need to respect the space we all share.

@laserusers
@lasertechs

13 Likes

The last time I used the laser, I stopped the laser when it started flaming and left 2 hours early. But before then, I gave the lens cap a throughing clean using the lens liquid. It had more soot on it than usual because of the flaming, which is why I spent more time cleaning it.

I didn’t see any dust on the lens or soot but I did notice that it looked very old and stained.

This is really not good. Thanks for cleaning and attempting to revive the situation @charlesmein . Is there someone who used the laser yesterday that needs a run through on how to and how not to use it?

I don’t understand how the user has managed to leave it this dirty. We are really fortunate to have this machine and it’s not good to see it being left in this state! I will cancel my slot for tomorrow and wait until next week.

4 Likes

Hi all, I used the laser with job control yesterday morning after great instruction from Andy. I did the relevant checks prior to cutting and had no issues or flaming at all. Jaydee was immediately after me, and I walked her through job control before leaving her to continue cutting, so realise now that I didn’t check the lens at the end of my session due to the overlap.

I popped back in early evening yesterday to do a quick extra cut, and at this point noticed the bad condition of the lens especially. @Grover and I did multiple lens cleans which reduced the soot a lot, and did a quick test cut which worked fine.

I realise now that the level of dirt was still totally unacceptable, and I should’ve been straight on Discourse to report it as out of order and ensured that no-one else used it. I didn’t do this, so don’t know who used it after I left. Sorry everyone - I’ve learned my lesson RE immediately reporting things that seem wrong. Thanks @charlesmein for dealing with it as best as you can this morning.

6 Likes

Hey @edsear

Thanks for letting us know! :slight_smile:

Just to be clear this is not intended for calling anyone out. It is easy to make a mistake with the laser and without a lot of experience with the intricacies of operating, not even realise!

However in future if anyone ever notices something which doesn’t look right, in any way, please always notify the techs straight away. And leave a sign/notice on the laser asking other users not to use until the issue is resolved. It is usually an easy fix/explanation. But always always better to be safe than sorry.

4 Likes

Thanks all for the honest communication!

My suggestion is we take the opportunity while the laser is offline to clean the filters. We have no way of knowing how dirty or well they are working.

Any volunteers?
It is a dirty job, so make sure you use plenty of PPE!

2 Likes

I’m around tomorrow daytime and up for this, if there’s another volunteer free :+1:

Thank you for cleaning the situation up @charlesmein I’d be happy to assist with filter cleaning. I’m away until Monday and then generally available.

Ill do it, on Sunday evening ready for monday.

oh actually that works for me. What time tomorrow? Shall we say 2pm?

1 Like

That’s good for me - see you then!

2 Likes

lets dooo it!

3 Likes

Let me know if you need some help with it, as it seems like it’s a two day job.
I’m not available tomorrow daytime due to work, but anytime after or over the weekend I’m free and willing to help!

1 Like

I’m around most of tomorrow, will be getting mucky in the metal area, so happy to help with this if needed.

I’ll be around today early afternoon and will be there for any cleaning.

Thanks for the offers everyone! From the looks of the instructions it seems like a 2 man job however I will come and grab people when we need an extra set of hands :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sounds like pressure washer is the way to go, if you discover any tips, take some pics and update that instruction page…

1 Like