Laser cutting group

I wondered if there was anyone that would be interested in meeting up on a regular basis to fully understand the trotec laser and further develop the wiki page.

I was thinking a comprehensive page that detailed different materials that are commonly used with a list of cutting parameters, problem-solving tips, file set up etc. I know we currently have something for the trotec but I thought it could be expanded. Something like this:

https://wiki.nottinghack.org.uk/wiki/Laser_cutter/LaserCut/Usage

and this:

https://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Silvertail_A0_Laser_Cutter/Cutting_Parameters

I thought one eve a week possible testing different materials with various projects, make a box, rubber stamp, photo etching etc. Any takers? @Jonathan

6 Likes

@lasers - this sounds like a great idea :slight_smile:

EDIT: This could also help rustle up an extra lasertech or two. We could do with some more help maintainining and inducting.

2 Likes

Great idea, thanks Chanelle! I’m in.

1 Like

I could probably do every other week

1 Like

One topic that could do with exploration is the rotary attachment. This is a really useful facility but it’s not included in the induction due to time constraints. As a result it never gets used.

@DemoraFairy is going to need this if she’s going to follow through on my crazy design for her project.

2 Likes

I think this is a great idea… the advanced use of the laser is not something that I think is happening very much…

1 Like

@pip had some fun with the rotary attachment the other day. Worth downloading his brain…

1 Like

We had a bit of a discussion about your design at the electronics evening, I think we’ve gone for an Arduino option instead haha

Though the laser cutter is something I want to use a lot and I was thinking about offering to join this group, but I know absolutely nothing about laser cutting at the moment and probably wouldn’t be able to contribute much!

1 Like

I think it’s probably for the best :smiley:

Hey Tabitha,

it should be an opportunity to both create a useful working document but for those with less laser experience to build on there newly acquired skill. I see no reason why you couldn’t contribute.

Perfect for newly inducted laser members with no experience of using the laser cutter, to practise using the machine with those with more experience.

Ooh ok, I will join then :smiley: Will keep an eye on the thread to see when we’re meeting up!

Id be up for this , regular monday nights thing?

Cool, is a Monday evening workable for folks? Does anything else happen on a Monday?

1 Like

nope, Monday’s free

I saw some super cool rolling pins made with it! Would love to use it! Also I’ve been planning to cut felt (got the felt, designed some vector graphics, now need time to try it!!!)

2 Likes

Picture of rolling pins?

I assuming you mean laser engraved rolling puns like this:

8 Likes

Yes :grinning:

Wicked, thanks Chanelle for starting this. Monday night is good for me. I will mostly be observing to begin with tho!

To would definitely be up for this, though it is new to me so I would also be watching and learning first,