Laser cutting fabric

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa496a51a08>

Hey all, I was thinking about starting a new project that might involve laser cutting (I want to make medieval flags)

I was just wondering if anyone thinks that the laser cutter could cut through fabric without burning it? If so if anyone has any Idea what kind of settings you’ll need

All the best
Patrick

What fabric? You can totally cut through fabrics. I’ve cut though cotton and polycotton mostly. I don’t remember settings, but they should be saved in JobControl settings in my folder and/or Dermots. Always try less powerfull, they can flare up if overpowered really quickly. Should you need help with finessing the settings let me or other lasertechs know.

1 Like

Think the guy who did kites cut the rip stop stuff wet on a board. Cuts and sealed the edges really well

Courty

1 Like

Thanks! I’m going to look into what fabric and have a go!

Trotec has some tantalising info about changing the laser frequency for different materials.
I say tantalising, because they don’t spell it out exactly, and there isn’t enough info for me to think about it.

So, hopefully someone can say something more useful about frequency and how it affects delicate materials like paper and fabric.

If not, and you find that you are getting scorching, it may be useful to explore different frequency settings.

Please report back on your results…

2 Likes