Laser cutting bracket

Good morning all,

Im currently developing an outdoor rug and was wondering if anyone who had a good knowledge of plastics and the laser cutter would be able to help advise me a suitable material to make a fixing clip.

I have done the first test out of a 5mm black acrylic. however I want to reduce the thickness to around 3mm. I also know that acrylic is quite a brital material.

Is there any materials that come to anyone’s mind which would be laser cutter friendly and robust? Nylon / Acetale ?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Jack

I’d try acetal aka delrin for this, although nylon might work.

You could try 3D printing in PETG or ABS (if you get it done elsewhere)?

I’m going to order some black PETG soon so you’re welcome to print a draft or 2. Or share an order with me?

FDM would not be strong enough at 3mm, better to be cut from a solid material.

Hi Rich,
Thanks so much for your advice - Are you able to laser cut acetal approx 3mm using the Trotec laser?
Taa

Great - Thanks for this advice guys! I’d like to try and keep to cutting from a solid sheet material for ease of production and costs.
Taa

I don’t see why not. Others might be able to give you precise settings for the Trotec. I’ve only cut it on the laser cutter in the school where I work which is only a 40W machine so the Trotec should cut like a knife through butter!

What are the dimensions?

Are you planning to cut them from one sheet or ‘glue’ bits together?

Have you considered an off-the-shelf part? It looks like a square plastic ring

I looked into an off the shelf version however I couldnt find the exact one to fit the sizing specification. I’ll run some tests on the laser with the Acetal. Thanks for your help again guys, much appreciated!