Laser cutting 0.1mm Aluminium

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa495a566d0>

Laser cutting 0.1mm Aluminium,
Yey or neigh?

I know ill have to coat it first, but is that cutter powerful enough with a few passes on such a thin sheet?

@lasertechs

No metal of any type is allowed

1 Like

Not even for etching? I thought that was ok?

Nope, unfortunately no metals.

1 Like

No problems :slight_smile:

If you look at the edit history this was added by @tomnewsom and it may be a mistake that it’s listed as forbidden as theres not technical reason you can’t put metals inside, it’s simply that the laser cannot cut metal, but it can etch.

Perhaps the @lasertechs should have a chat together and review this, as there’s no safety issue with etching metal.

Isn’t there a problem with reflecting too much of the beam back into the laser tube? AFAIK aluminium is almost totally reflective in the CO2 laser spectrum.

Isn’t that why it needs a coating?

1 Like

But you are burning the coating off!

There is an issue with some materials yes, that’s why I’d suggest they talk through what is and isn’t allowed.

I believe the coating is to then put it through an acid etch?

We have that by the way. We’re just missing the distilled water.

Anodised aluminium should be ok for engraving…

I don’t think cutting unanodised aluminium is a good idea though, will do some more research.
What is the ultimate aim here?

2 Likes

I was wanting to make something like these - https://fundamental.berlin/products/push-mini?variant=18077484679

I think that would need to be thicker than 0.1mm

sure, but can it cut 0.1mm…?
It’s more a material study with that tool, than anything else.

had a look on the Trotec website and they only list the 300 as capable of engraving anodized aluminum but nothing about being able to cut metal.

Yeah, I’m fairly sure it mostly just colours the metal and doesn’t remove any significant amount of metal.

You’d need to use a high power fibre laser, there are places which do this kind of thing, but probably not cheaper than buying it off the shelf.

If you do a dxf drawing I can get your a quote from my laser cutting contractors