Laser cutter software issues

@lasertechs had some issues getting job control to talk to trotec two days ago. Problem seemed to be solved after reconnecting cables at the back of trotec and in the computer, and was able to cut no problem so put it down to the cable coming loose somehow.

However today. The same issues is occurring once you hit ready, preventing cutting. Either it freezes at this point or when you attempt to move your design to the courser. I believe @Courty had the same issues today.

Reconnecting cable and reboots don’t appear to resolving the issue.

Any ideas?

Cheers

I had loads of issues earlier today, only managed to keep it going for 50% of the time - like @StudioNelle says its seems to be related to the cable / USB ports etc but the whole lot hangs once it loses the connection and takes an age to get it going again.
Do we have or can we get another cable ?

Courty

It’s a standard A - B cable, like a printer. There must be loads of them in the snug

Think it’s an especially long one as it goes from the PC, round the back of the laser and to the far left side of the machine… got to be 2m ?
If we can get a nice shielded one I think it would make a really big difference as the machine was a nightmare this afternoon…
If it’s just an A to B, if we can’t buy a good one perhaps we could make a nice one ?

Courty

Or an active USB repeater

I doubt it’s the USB cable we’ve had this before and it was the log files.

I’ll bring a 3 meter USB cable from work tomorrow.

1 Like

I was having this issue a month ago and putting the USB into a different port (front and back) each time was the only thing that solved it.

We did try that but the problem persisted.

1 Like

I did try to look on the forums about the log files as I remember this was an issue previously, couldn’t find the info though. worth a go as well

The other thing I would also say is a big thumbs up for the @lasertechs & @3dtechs, I’ve done a fair few bits recently and the Trotec is cutting better with the new lens/holder than I’ve seen it before, razor sharp and very clean !

Courty

2 Likes

unplugging and plug it back worked, could be and overheating issue, due to the heat in the space yesterday or the cable is aging, plus heat , is started to misbehaving.

Or, the PC need a cleanup, apparently there is no antivirus running?

(under the assumption that this is pc-full-o-crap) This feels like it keeps happening, is there any sensibility in virtualising some things, so that PC can be rebuilt in a seconds notice / possibly at every reboot?

1 Like

Could be, provided that the hypervisor will deal with the USB connection in the right way, we don’t know if there is any real time-ness needed.

or if virtualisation is tricky, something like http://clonezilla.org

We could use something like Norton Ghost, there must be a freeware tool.

I’ve dropped off a 3M USB lead that @StudioNelle is trying, the USB on the machine is a couple years old, I’ve myself run it over a few times, it could just be knackered, we should see what her answer is.

I agree though generally the laser machine to should be seen as disposable, but we’ve been encouraging members to store their own prefernces.

Clonezilla is your tool here

1 Like

Hi there, has anyone used the laser cutter lately, I’m thinking of coming down but just want to check that it’s working ok??
thank you!

Sorry I was in a workshop - it’s working like it’s normal self.

1 Like

Does that mean well Chantelle? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: