Laser-cut iPhone dock

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa4a2aace38>

Hey guys. Thought I’d share this little project in case anyone wanted to make one of their own. It’s designed for an iPhone plus, but if you are fairly proficient with illustrator, you should be able to easily adapt to any sort of phone.

I really wanted a bedside iPhone dock, but didn’t want to spend £30 for one when they mostly have really bad reviews. A good reason to test my laser skills…

It’s basically a standard iPhone cable sandwiched inbetween 3 x 3mm plywood bits, the 2 outside bits have been engraved to give an extra 0.5mm which holds the cable really tightly inside of the middle piece. That assembly is then wedged into 2 legs, which hold it upright.

Completed assembly at the top:

Originally, it was just a basic dock, but i found that once the phone was in there, the cable held onto the phone, which mean’t that you needed 2 hands to remove the phone, one to hold the base as you pull - kinda annoying - so this v2 has 2 integral hinges, which pop the phone out when you squeeze them. The act of putting the phone in pops the arms out.

Out:

In:

Hope you guys like it. Here’s the .ai file.

dock_v2.ai (660.8 KB)

8 Likes

Do you mind if we social media this to show trotec some love?

Sure! All my social media is @chrismhs btw if you fancy a tag :slight_smile: no twitter though

1 Like

Nice. Good photos too.

1 Like

Love that hinge :slight_smile:

2 Likes