Laser cut fabric engrave

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa499211458>

Hi guys,

Do you know if it’s possible to engrave on fabric with our laser cut machine?
I don’t have the fabric yet, if possible, i was thinking about a thick cotton fabric.
Any advise?
@lasertechs

Thanks,
Federico

Short answer is yes.
Longer answer is that settings you might have to experiment with and have to be extremely careful as fabric can catch on fire relatively easy with wrong settings. There should be rough approximate settings on the wall chart.

Ok I’ll try next time.

Thanks
Fed

hi @lasertechs

yesterday i engraved some cotton like fabric as test, looked very good but the magic disappeared after the first wash… i checked the trotec website and the settings they recommended are similar to mine except for the power ( they recommend 20% but i used 45 because at 20% there was no engrave at all).
any ideas?

thanks
Federico

Perhaps the engraving looked dark immediately afterwards due to residual soot, which then washed away.

Can you examine the engraved area under magnification to see if there actually was an engraved effect?

Was the cotton light or dark?

light colour… I’ll bring it to the space this evening and I’ll try another engrave with another fabric.

some pictures

The fibres look melted. Is this perhaps a polyester/cotton blend?
If so, the Trotec page recommends a z-offset.
I haven’t ever shown people how to do that, but it is available in the ruby settings once you select your material.

could be the issue… i know the z-offset.
I’ll try again this evening with pure cotton.

i tried again yesterday on cotton… different settings… washed away again.

Hope you’ll have more luck with the vinyl-cutter/heat-press - if you dare to try. :slight_smile:

if i have enough time this evening I’ll make a second sack ( hopefully with straight stitches this time) and I’ll try the vinyl cutter.

1 Like