Laptop Battery Repair

Hey,

My laptop battery seems to have called an end to it’s life of service this morning so after 6 years, it needs replacing.

I’ve done some googling and it seems that all the files should be fine, it’s just the battery that needs replacing.

Whilst I’m tech curious, I’m not the most knowledgeable, so was wondering if anyone in the community knows much about battery replacements.

Would prefer to lean into this community and pay for some help on here rather than going into a shop. Happy to buy the battery and meet in person for some help.

Computer Specs: 2018 HP Spectre x360 13-ae0004na.

Whilst I’m here, I’d also be looking to upgrade my storage, so if you can lend any advice on that then I’m all ears!

Hi,
What exactly do you mean by battery repair? You can buy aftermarket replacements for a reasonable price I think, that would be your safest and fastest choice. If you’re talking about opening the battery module and replacing the cell(s) inside, I’d be surprised if you find anyone willing to do that with you. A lot of people are fearful of lithium ion cells in general thanks to an endless stream of low quality products from a certain country where such cells make the headlines day after day for blowing up. The general consensus at the Makerspace is to not work on them inside the premises for the very reason they love combusting if mistreated. Looking at the part online, it looks like it might be one of those lithium ion pouch types. Unless there’s some circuitry adjacent to the pouch cell, I’d say it’s a lost cause. These things are not really made to be touched by end consumers.

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your input!

I was thinking along the lines of buying an aftermarket replacement and then installing it. Opening the battery module was not under consideration as I don’t have enough familiarity with this sort of thing to even attempt it.

After looking at some videos online, it seems quite simple to replace the battery so I’m going to try that and will update!

1 Like

Well in that case, absolutely we can help you if needed. It’s probably going to be using PH00 screws or something (really small Phillips head), we have plenty at the space in the electronics area. The battery units are easily replaceable. I understood from your post title you were considering repairing the battery itself hence my previous post.

1 Like

In case you haven’t, I suggest checking https://www.ifixit.com/ for a battery replacement guide. They have very high quality guides for pretty much everything.

3 Likes