I've managed to water damage a wood worktop - please help

I put a towel behind the sink to catch the spray and the prolonged damp has clearly made it’s way in. Any advice? I tried a little mineral oil to see if it would help.

What sort of worktop is it again?

Cross section for illustration

The spec says it is laminate. I don’t think the spec is correct.

Neither do I. Looks like solid oak blocks.

1 Like

Title changed. Advice please. Seems like an expensive mistake. Mum said to leave it and see if it dries out. I already put some oil on it though.

Let it dry sand it back and reseal

This is what I did with mine, and it was in a much worse state than that, and it came out just fine.

I did then of course, brutally smash the whole thing out, but that’s another tale of which @joeatkin2 is quite complicit.

2 Likes

How long will should I leave it, and also how should I reseal it? Will the oil I put in stop/slow it from drying? It seems like quite a neutral finish from the bit i can see from the side?

Thank you all :sweat_smile:

Catch me or mark in the space and I will happily talk about it

1 Like

It occurs to me that I don’t think the counter has actually been sealed or varnished at all. Are you around on Sunday?

Will be available in next Sunday

1 Like

I have been researching how to seal wooden veneer recently, for use on a desk. The helpful chap I spoke to at SLHardwoods in Croydon recommended Osmo Polyx oil. He used it on natural wood worktops in his kitchen, and says they’ve lasted him three years without any kind of water ingress or staining. There’s lots of info on the Osmo website.
I would be interested in knowing if anyone has other recommendations - mainly because I usually like to consider various options!
Incidentally, he recommended avoiding varnish. I had mentioned the rings you get when you plonk a hot cup of coffee onto a wooden surface, and apparently it’s because there is still trace moisture in the wood - which then gets heated up and rises to the surface. It’s then trapped by the varnish - and creates the unsightly ring.
Osmo have a “raw” finish, which is meant to preserve the original look of the wood by lightening the surface a bit, to counteract the natural darkening effect that happens when you seal it with oil (or varnish) that effectively gives it a “wet look”.
They also have food-safe finishes that you can put on afterwards, presumably for things like chopping boards? Dunno.